Pc Switching off and fan going mad.

stevis93

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
Hey guys, I wasn't sure what section to put this in.

About half the time when i start up a game (The Whitcher 2, Left4dead) my graphics card seems to completely mess up,
Basically the Fan goes crazy and and my pc just freezes with nothing on the screen, from here i have no choice but to switch it off and on again. This seems to only happen when starting the games up and when this doesn't happen the games run very smoothly, does anyone know what could be causing this? I am guessing it is some kind of graphics card problem..?

All my drivers are up to date and i am running Windows 7 32bit.
I am also not very educated in this area.

Thanks in advance.

-Specs-

Processor - Amd Phenom 2 X4 @3.40ghz
Ram - 4.00GB
Graphics - GTX 460 se

stevis93

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
My rig is only a few months old and i am not sure what make my power supply is, all i know is that is is 750w.
And im pretty sure all my drivers are current.

Mrthorp

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
does it run all other games fine?

i also see you have the gtx 460 se. you say your rig is a few months old...

is this one of those re certified cards from EVGA or PNY that were for sale on newegg a few months ago? if its a recert. card, id guess card issues, but its odd as you say when it doesn't screw up it runs just fine.

the fan going nuts etc could be a hardware issue for sure. perhaps you can still RMA it and get a different card.

stevis93

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
The card is vertically brand new, it would kill me to replace it. The inside of my pc is also cleaner than my dinner plate. I also dont think its a overheating problem bc it happens before my pc has a chance to get hot.

If it's new should be in warranty, replace it. Sounds like an issue with the card. If a card crashes soon as 3D is used, chips are bad.

stevis93

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011

How would I go about doing that? (sorry im a hardware noob)
Its also EVGA, but I brought my pc as a custom whitebox made by someone else, so i wouldnt know where he got the parts from. (Big mistake)