Harddrive performance

G

I have a seagate barracuda ultra ata and IBM Desktar both 7200rpm. When installed into my pc configured with AbitKT7-nonraid/AMD-1000mhz/256MBram. They perform very slow when running benchmark tests. I'm running windowm ME on it. If I install them into my old AbitBE6/500mhzceleron/128MB ram, the benchmark results are lost faster. that machine is running windows98. The only diff is that in my new ABit KT7, I dont see a ATA/66 controller device in device manager and under disk types, I has my disk as generic. My celeron machine identifies the disks correctly and has the hotrod device visible in device manager. please, does anyone know why the lack of performance. It's a newer faster machine, but my disk performace on it sucks. I already check all my Bios settings, everything is optimized for ATA/66 speed.

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Are you sure you have dma enabled in windows ME? also disable the windows restore function. Do you have the correct drivers loaded up for the controller of your abit board? If sll you did was load windows me then the answer is no.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

G

Did you install the latest VIA drivers, they will help the OS communicate with the drive better? Also, you need to enable DMA under the properties for the drive. As far as the machine recognized the exact drive, it depends completely on the motherboard and OS. Some boards reports this correctly to the OS, some don't. This will not effect performance at all, other than the fact that you need to enable DMA function for the drive.

G

You might also want to consider fraud. Depending on where you buy it (ebay for example) it is possible that you were given an 5400 RPM drive with a 7200 RPM label and stickers on it.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I think the best drivers for your hard drive controller under ME are the ones Microsoft included. The IBM unit should be much faster than the Seagate. And VIA chipsets have a tad more latency with the onboard controller than Intel chipsets (slightly to moderately lower disk performance).

Suicide is painless...........