Solved

What is the bottleneck here?

I haven't yet received the next part for this build, but what do you think the bottleneck will be?

Right now, the system is:

AMD Dual-core Athlon II X2 "Regor" @ 3.4 Ghz
4 Gbs OCZ DDR2 "Reaper" RAM @ 1066 Mhz
MA3-79GDGD Jetway Motherboard AM3/AM2+/AM2 w/ 790GX nb
Toshiba notebook drive 320 Gbs @ 7200 RPM (cannibalized)
Western Digital 1 tb "Caviar Green" @5400 RPM
Asus nVidia GT 220 stock-clocked
OCZ "Fatal1ty" 550w PSU

Obviously here right now its the GT 220, but that will be replaced with a Sparkle "Calibre" GTX 550 Ti card.

What will be the bottleneck then? The processor?
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about what bottleneck here
  1. depends on your uses but i will opine.......... the hard drive is slow ( 5400rpm )....... unless you use the 320 for main drive...... dual cores are kind of useless but will still work. i don't buy low end graphics cards but if that's the final piece the 550 is better than what you have now.
  2. Best answer
    Your best upgrades are to go to either an FM1 board, Asrock makes a great board for $75 on newegg with the Llano 2.9GHz chip w/ 6550 integrated graphics. With this, get an 8GB (2x4Gb) set of DDR3 1333 Ram. Total will run you around $260.

Or, go with a Phenom Zosma 960T as it is a true quad core with the potential to unlock a 5th or even 6th core, and is easily OC'able. This should be paired with an HD6950. Your board will support it. Total will run you around $280
  3. did i read this wrong ? I was assuming those parts were already purchased and wanted advice for next part.
  4. swifty_morgan said:
    did i read this wrong ? I was assuming those parts were already purchased and wanted advice for next part.

Did i post something confusing? I was listing his best upgrade options...
  5. Best answer selected by deathofzero.nnThanks for the info. Considering the FM1... But who knows with those unlockable cores. Seeya round.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Bottleneck Systems