Sony DSC-p200 & memory...

Last response: in Digital Camera
a b } Memory
April 16, 2005 7:42:49 PM

Hi there,
It's my 21st soon, and i'm after a decent digital camera that'll
last me for quite a few years. I'm aware of the 1/40 1/60 shutter issue, but
am willing to put up with it, as this camera's down to £230 in the UK, which
i think is pretty good.

I'm i'm being daft by my choice of camera, please let me know first of
all....i'm not a professional photographer, just like taking pictures.

I intend on buying a 1gb memory stick pro (by sony) for about £80 in the uk
off the internet; but i've noticed there's "high speed" memory stick pro's,
also by sony, available for £120.

Being 'high speed', i imagine it'd make no difference to my camera really,
would it?

I'd buy a 2gb sandisk memory stick pro, but i've heard of errors with them
and sony cameras.....

If anybody has any caution or advice regarding my above choice of both
camera and memory, please let me know now! I'm looking forward to buying it
soon...but would rather avoid it if you can give something with similiar
battery life and ease of use for someone who takes a variety of pictures,
from hillwalking to out down the pub etc....

cheers,

Yozzi.

More about : sony dsc p200 memory

Anonymous
a b } Memory
April 16, 2005 7:42:50 PM

Yozzi wrote:
> Hi there,
> It's my 21st soon, and i'm after a decent digital camera that'll
> last me for quite a few years. I'm aware of the 1/40 1/60 shutter issue, but
> am willing to put up with it, as this camera's down to £230 in the UK, which
> i think is pretty good.
>
> I'm i'm being daft by my choice of camera, please let me know first of
> all....i'm not a professional photographer, just like taking pictures.
>
> I intend on buying a 1gb memory stick pro (by sony) for about £80 in the uk
> off the internet; but i've noticed there's "high speed" memory stick pro's,
> also by sony, available for £120.
>
> Being 'high speed', i imagine it'd make no difference to my camera really,
> would it?

You just need to make sure you get a Memory Stick Pro version or
compatible. It will be fast enough to take video clips at 640x480 at 30
fps. Anything faster is just a waste of money for the P200.

> I'd buy a 2gb sandisk memory stick pro, but i've heard of errors with them
> and sony cameras.....

I bought a Sony brand 1 gig Memory Stick Pro and it works fine. It
holds about 280 high resolution pictures or 12 minutes of highest
quality video.

> If anybody has any caution or advice regarding my above choice of both
> camera and memory, please let me know now! I'm looking forward to buying it
> soon...but would rather avoid it if you can give something with similiar
> battery life and ease of use for someone who takes a variety of pictures,
> from hillwalking to out down the pub etc....

We use the P200 as a convenience camera when lugging our Digital Rebel
isn't practical. It has performed excellently in this capacity. IMO,
it is the best point and shoot camera available at the moment,
especially for the price. It is fast to start up, has great battery
life, has virtually no red-eye on flash shots, gives
histogram/shutter/aperture information before the shot is taken, picture
color/clarity is great for a point and shoot and lens quality (barrel
distortion, CA) is very good for its size. It is one of the very few
point and shoot cameras that lets you set shutter speed and aperture
independently in the manual mode. This allows you to use a 1/60 or
greater shutter speed for flash shots which all but eliminates blurry
flash photos. It also allows you to get a little creative with your
shots or adjust setting when the auto modes just aren't getting it right.

My only major complaints with it are the 1/40 default shutter speed for
flash photos, having to use Sony's proprietary memory and the flash is a
little weak for indoor shots greater than 10'-12'.

I think you will enjoy the P200 and take many excellent pictures with it.
!