wolfshead

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
Have old Intel DG865PERL mobo based system I built almost 10 years ago for video editing. Stopped using it awhile back when I had a stroke but recently fired it up again. Still performing the function it was built for well but this week I ran in to a problem. I lost my sound. Board uses built in sound card using SoundMax. According to the SoundMax configuration I won't hear sound because there are headphones plugged in t the front jacks. Since this computer was hooked to a TV there never were no ever will be anything installed in the front jacks. Every other connection and setting is the same as it was when the sound was working. I tried reinstalling the drivers. Nada. Tried to disconnect the front jacks but they are buried behind a metal panel that means disassembling the whole case and the leads are encased in a cable that includes all the other front panel stuff such as USB ports so I have no idea which wire is which so can't trace them. Anyone have any ideas on how to solve this problem? Can the front jacks be disabled through the Soundmax software or the registry, no setting in Bios? Just commisioned a new system but still want to be able to hook this one up to another TV to use as DVR.

Thanks

popatim

Titan
Plug a pair of headphone into the front, if you dont hear sound then thats not your problem to begin with.
Open sound panel and make sure your sounds/volumes aren't muted or turned all the way down. repeat for the soundmax configuration utility and well as whichever media playing utility you use. Since this is 10 yrs old you could still be using W95 and there were a number of ways to mute the sound without the built in mixer (spkr icon by the clock) being aware of it so sometimes you have to go thru many programs to find what turned the sound down. LOL

Dont overlook that your soundcard could be dead. Capacitors could have dried out over the years.

Good luck