Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

No display after installing new hd 6790 gpu though system starts

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 29, 2011 8:47:16 AM

Hi to everyone who r gonna help me...

Recently i've bought a new system with the following configuration
Intel core i5-2500k,
Intel dh67cl mobo,
Corsair 4gb ddr3,
Seagate 500gb,
Cooler master elite 310 cabinet,
Cooler master extreme 500w psu
and finally XFX Radeon HD 6790 gpu.

After installing the os into my new desktop, i installed the gpu and connected the dvi cable to the gpu only to find that system has booted but there was'nt any display on my screen.

Forgot to mention that i've connected only one pci external power connector to the gpu as my psu has got only one...... but the gpu runs very well as i can see its fan spin to its rpm......
I've disabled the onboard graphics from the bios and set pci-e slot preference as primary video.... after booting, no display even when i connected to my mobo dvi slot. So i've reset bios by removing jumper and replacing it. I have tried uninstalling drivers and disabling onboard graphics in device manager but still couldnt get display when connected to gpu but gets display from onboard graphics when connected to it.... please help.... thanks in advance!!!!
a b U Graphics card
August 29, 2011 8:59:26 AM

found other people with this problem, you need to update the bios. pop out the card run it with intel graphics and do a bios update. they say they did it in windows. so if you can find the intel bios utility for windows that will make it easier.
m
0
l
August 29, 2011 10:06:24 AM

hmm i did the bios update with the same problem arising again...... iam worried that i need to plug in another pci connector to the gpu as it had 2 connector slots and that it is not giving display due to that??!!!
any advice on this part....
m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
August 29, 2011 7:32:10 PM

you confused me with your wording, if the card wants two pci power connectors you need two. they make splitters for it but half of the powersupplies out there dont push enough current to handle both pci-e power lanes. you might need to drop $60 on a new powersupply.
you can buy a splitter here
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
a c 171 U Graphics card
August 29, 2011 7:55:31 PM

Agreed. If it needs two plugs, you need to give it to plugs.
m
0
l
August 30, 2011 5:31:30 AM

so can i have a molex 4-pin to 6-pin pci-e connector to connect from an empty 4-pin of my psu to the gpu 6-pin...... or shall i completely change the psu for a slight higher wattage and with 2 connectors of 6-pin's....
m
0
l
August 30, 2011 5:36:47 AM

farrengottu said:
you confused me with your wording, if the card wants two pci power connectors you need two. they make splitters for it but half of the powersupplies out there dont push enough current to handle both pci-e power lanes. you might need to drop $60 on a new powersupply.
you can buy a splitter here
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...



dud sorry for confusing u guys..... the gpu which I bought had 2 pci-e 6-pin connectors and that my psu had only 1 pci-e 6-pin connector. I did connect it only to find that the gpu started running but showed no display!!!! so i may need a 4-pin to 6-pin connector or else i 've to completely change the psu!!!!

which of this would u recommend!!!??
m
0
l
a c 171 U Graphics card
August 30, 2011 6:03:13 AM

Change the PSU. There are very few PSUs that have enough RELIABLE power to use an adapter.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 31, 2011 4:51:56 PM

if you can find very detailed specs for your powersupply, you can see if your molex cables supply enough wattage to supply a pci-e 6 pin connector. its just a simple 12v
but the pci-e slot only supplies 75 watts so the rest needs to be supplied by your two cables. your card can pull up to 280 watts lets call it 300 for safety.one of your cables meets spec so the molex to pci-e cable will be draw about 112.5 watts +/- 5%. so you need about 9.5 amps on that cable to be safe.
id get a new powersupply myself if it was under 10A.
but good luck looking that up.
m
0
l
a c 171 U Graphics card
August 31, 2011 6:53:42 PM

A 6790 does not pull 280/300W. It has the same PCB as the 6870, so its around 170-200 depending on clock speeds. If stock I'd assume around 175W.
m
0
l
September 1, 2011 3:24:46 PM

farrengottu said:
if you can find very detailed specs for your powersupply, you can see if your molex cables supply enough wattage to supply a pci-e 6 pin connector. its just a simple 12v
but the pci-e slot only supplies 75 watts so the rest needs to be supplied by your two cables. your card can pull up to 280 watts lets call it 300 for safety.one of your cables meets spec so the molex to pci-e cable will be draw about 112.5 watts +/- 5%. so you need about 9.5 amps on that cable to be safe.
id get a new powersupply myself if it was under 10A.
but good luck looking that up.



yes i have ordered a molex to 6-pin pci-e cable and yet to recieve it...... so have to check it and if wont work then will go for new psu...... but the shopkeeper said he would analyze the gpu if it wont work even after connecting two cables and that he would arrange another gpu according to my psu or else would change the psu........ :sol: 
m
0
l
September 1, 2011 3:28:36 PM

4745454b said:
A 6790 does not pull 280/300W. It has the same PCB as the 6870, so its around 170-200 depending on clock speeds. If stock I'd assume around 175W.



what you said is right regarding the wattage for 6790...... in their amd site, they mentioned 2 pci 6-pin cables which accounts to 150w and the pci-e slot will give another 75w total accounting to 225w.....
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 3, 2011 3:12:20 PM

4745454b said:
A 6790 does not pull 280/300W. It has the same PCB as the 6870, so its around 170-200 depending on clock speeds. If stock I'd assume around 175W.

heres my source for my information. http://www.anandtech.com/show/4260/amds-radeon-hd-6790-...
i didnt read that it was total system power. not just gpu. its normally not done this way. my bad.

m
0
l
a c 171 U Graphics card
September 3, 2011 4:04:29 PM

I would argue its nearly always done this way. Total system power is always given as its the easiest thing to show. Many sites will also show total system power at idle. Subtract that from the load system power (300 load - 100 idle) gives you 200 for the card. You need to be careful with this however as they need to make sure they put a load on the CPU. If you measure pure idle some of that 200W will be the CPU working.

In short, make sure when you are looking at these things you understand what they are measuring and how they are doing it. If you find it to confusing, try a different site. Mistakes happen however which is why we chat about these things on forums.
m
0
l
September 4, 2011 7:17:28 AM

hey guys thanks for ur help... i figured the problem. its the connector, i bought 4-pin to 6-pin pci-e connector and connected.... it did start and drivers installed and my gpu is working fine.........

problem solved

once again thanks guys.....
m
0
l
!