alexthetitan

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2010
I just built my first gaming pc. When I turn it on the motherboard lights up, I hear the optical drive spinning, the fans spin, yet it doesn't actually boot. I found the little motherboard speaker and when I boot up it gives me 3 medium beeps. As far as I can tell this means the ram is not functioning. I am using 2 4gb sticks of G.Skill Ripjaw 1600. I tried them together, as well as individually, in different slots and I always get that beeping. Is it definitely the RAM that is broken or could it be the motherboard RAM slots?

Solution
Don't take this the wrong way, but did you put the ram in all the way? From your description it sounds like you have bad sticks but I just want to make sure you put them in all the way. Just setting them in and latching isn't enough you have to hear that snap. When I first did it, it felt like I was going to break it but that's normal. They take more force then you'd think.

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Don't take this the wrong way, but did you put the ram in all the way? From your description it sounds like you have bad sticks but I just want to make sure you put them in all the way. Just setting them in and latching isn't enough you have to hear that snap. When I first did it, it felt like I was going to break it but that's normal. They take more force then you'd think.

Solution

casualbuilder

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
^
I would definately agree with this diagnosis as the first step. Second would be to either test the ram in a different computer (take it to a friends house or use in another family members). If it works, its the MoBo, if it doesnt, its the RAM. Did you make sure that it was compatible with your MoBo?