Sign in with
Your question

MSI 990FXA-GD80V2 Thinking of buying?

Last response: in Motherboards
November 28, 2012 7:44:18 PM

I currently have an older MSI 760GM-P35 and I've been happy with the quality of MSI thus far. But, now I want a newer FX chip as well as being able to run an SLI set up, gobs of RAM, USB 3.0, and obviously as much bells and whistles I get for sub $200. Newegg has this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 990FXA-GD80V2 that looks like it would be a good deal, but I've been reading that there's a cap on CPU voltage?

Anyone running this board? You like it? Plenty of BIOS options? Can you tell me which FX chip (not interested in Phenom) you are running and what your highest stable OC is? I'm still debating on which chip to get, but it'll either be the 6 core AMD FX-6300 Vishera, OR the 8 core AMD FX-8320 Vishera. I like having the option to OC as far as it'll go and still be stable, so a voltage cap might be a deal breaker for me if it severely limits how far it'll allow for OC.

I did notice that the 6 core Vishera is only 95 watt, while the 8 core is 125 watt. Does that mean in theory the 95 watt 6300 could OC higher as there is less of a power demand? I'll probably lean towards the 6 core as it should be PLENTY for the next couple years of gaming and anything else for that matter.

Hopefully some of you speak up as I'd like to buy this soon, thanks!
November 28, 2012 8:41:57 PM

Why are you going AMD?
I think its a bit obvious that you have the money for something more, like intel.
Well, I wouldn't worry about the CPU Voltage cap, if there is one its set pretty high, it is there to protect your CPU so it doesn't short out when you feel adventurous with overclocking, (Atleast thats what I believe a CPU Voltage cap does).
Those are PCI 2.0 Slots, I recommend 3.0 slots, because thats what the next, and most current generation cards, are at right now, the cards are backwards compatible, but you will get a speed increase with 3.0 slots.
You said you want the most bells and whistles on it you can get, I recommend more USB 3.0 slots, and less 2.0 slots, because again, you just want more bells and whistles.

Anyway, tell me if you want to go intel, I'll whip up something good for you.
November 28, 2012 9:23:16 PM

I'm sticking with AMD atm. Is the PCIe 3.0 speed gains noticeable with what's currently available? What's a good AMD board right now? Would like to stick with MSI, but open to good brands with redundant BIOS to avoid bad flashes.
Related resources
November 28, 2012 10:16:08 PM

Looks like I'm just going to go with a 990FXA-GD80V2 as it seems to be the best offering for AMD chipsets from MSI as I can't seem to find anything better on MSI's site. At this point, everything I currently have will be a direct fit and it'll definitely be a better board than I currently have. 3.0 USB would only be needed by me for a USB stick transfer (rarely use) and possibly a game pad. If after swapping, upgrading to FX 6300 , OC, SLI, it's a complete dog, I'll consider selling and going the Intel route. Apparently the PCI 3.0 stuff is only available for Intel chips and there's only like 1 video card that's 3.0, so would rather wait for the technology to be more mainstream before worrying about it.
November 28, 2012 10:40:54 PM

I have similar Q should I go with MSI 990FXA-GD80V2 or GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX. what is better? I bout a wrong motherboard which is 970-ds3 rev 1.1. for my AMD fx-8350 :( .
November 29, 2012 4:10:33 PM

mohammed_43 said:
I have similar Q should I go with MSI 990FXA-GD80V2 or GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX. what is better? I bout a wrong motherboard which is 970-ds3 rev 1.1. for my AMD fx-8350 :( .

After looking at the specs for the Gigabyte board, I'd go with the MSI board as it has the faster PCIe 2.0 whereas the Gigabyte apparently only offers normal PCIe slots. We don't have the PCIe 3.0 yet like the Intel guys for AMD stuff, so 2.0 is the best for us. Also, that Gigabyte board has 3 USB 3.0 but apparently the rest of the USB connectors are normal USB (not even lucky enough to have USB 2.0). Spend a couple $$ more and get something a little better.
January 26, 2013 2:46:08 PM

I have a question about the BIOS offered on the 990fx gd80v2
I am looking to upgrade but i want to make sure it is running the uefi bios and not still using efi... most of their other boards say they are running click bios but this one doesnt make note of it anywhere.
ive had problems in the past with bad bios
March 24, 2013 6:22:27 AM

Well, I finally bought the 990FXA-GD80v2 and 8350. Had to install Win 7's service pack 1 in order to install both KB2645594 (install that one 1st) and KB2646060 hot fixes which are needed to get 8350 up to speed. As a bonus, everything in Win 7's benchmark went up a solid point except the HD at stock speeds. Even my old GTX 550Ti went up to a 7.4 at stock clocks. RAM went from 7.7 to 7.8, CPU went to 7.8 as well. Both RAM and GPU were a solid point lower before the hot fixes AND with the previous board and CPU.

Huge improvement with FPS in games like BO2, AC3, etc. I can now up everything with BO2 and run a constant 60+ FPS. With the old Athlon II x2 250 @ 3.9Ghz, this was NOT possible and that cpu was pegged hard causing in-game issues. I also like to play PCSX2 (PS2 emulator) but found certain games were almost unplayable with low fps (60 fps in PS2 emulator is vital as the game speed itself will actually slow down if lower than 60 fps) like MGS2, Ratchet and Clank, MX vs. ATV Unleashed, etc. At stock speeds, the FX 8350 finally allows me to play these and then some at solid 60 fps (some games aren't affected by the cpu, and PCSX2 needs bugs worked out or better coding). Very pleased with it. Was seriously going to get a 3770k but decided I'd give this a try instead, and absolutely no complaints with the actual 8350. Cinebench @4.8Ghz showed a 1.25 individual core score which is 5 points BETTER than an Intel Xeon W5590 @3.33Ghz (8 core, 16 thread). It also scored an 8.09 with all cores running, (Intel Xeon was 11.69- more cores/threads) which beat the 12 core Opteron's 7.95, and obliterates the older i7 960's (3.20Ghz) 5.48 score.

Trouble didn't rear it's ugly head until I tried OCing. Apparently the "11.13" bios the board shipped with is NERFED @ 1.42 volt for the cpu, which means 4.5Ghz is about the highest overclock you'll see and be stable enough to pass any stress tests, especially Prime. I did get it to boot and load Win 7 @4.8Ghz. Was even able to run Cinebench, 3DMark, play BO2, etc. but Prime crashed the system as soon as I tried it, so not exactly stable when all threads are getting maxed 100%. (might be a work around by dropping a core and trying as a 6 core if you just want speed as it won't consume as much power) Apparently there's an issue with the board itself, and MSI's response is to just nerf it. Board has been out for awhile now, and I've found virtually no info on this. Extremely disappointed with this. Had I known, I would have bought an Asus or Gigabyte equivalent and be rocking a 5Ghz+, but instead I get a nerfed board and 4.5 stable. Only thing that's favorable (trying to find a silver lining with this nerfed board) is I can easily boot to the EFI bios (everything is clickable with a mouse, finally out of the dark ages) and select an OC save state from the OC profile, load it and go. Meaning it's super easy to run stock everything for web browsing, watching movies (which I do a lot of on PC) listening to music, visit forums, etc. without worrying about how hot everything is or much power is being wasted from running it at a constant speed. Also a bonus is the lifespan of the cpu isn't diminished so much. Then, when planning on doing some serious gaming, just pull up an OC save state, load it and go. Another issue was the 11.13 bios is only available for download if you visit the link for the non "v2" version of the board. When checking for bios updates on the "v2" downloads, it starts with 11.0, then 11.1, 11.2, etc. stopping at 11.9, which makes it look like the "11.13" it shipped with seem as though it's an older off-shoot of the "11.1" bios. Whomever is in charge at MSI needs a smacking for allowing this, as well as offering 2 identical boards with different "v" numbers when they're apparently the same and not offering all the same bios updates evenly between them. I complained in MSI's forum and the mod was a true jerk about it, even go so far as deleting some of my complaint so others couldn't read it. They also pulled the link for the "v2" boards after complaining last night. (I was only able to still find the "v2" links by manually adding the address in the address bar as there was no way to find the page otherwise. Really shady if you ask me if that's the length they'll go through to hide something.

If you're looking for a decent cpu that handles games VERY well, and don't want to invest the extra $$$ for an Intel, this will do the job and then some, even with a weaker gpu. Was actually going to get a 670 or something but after the huge improvement in fps, I realize just how much the old cpu was holding the rig back, not the gpu. If you have your mind set on OCing an 8350 beyond 4.5Ghz, avoid this board. You *can* try and flash an older bios before the nerfing took place, but you'll run the risk of damaging your cpu or equally as bad bricking the board if the flash doesn't take.
!