Building Computer for Friend. $1k build, review please.

flashfir

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010

Cute. Try and not troll me and give no advice -_-;
Gtx 580? Obviously used for gaming.

Hardcore gamer college student, needs to do hw on it but if it can handle any game in the next few years, I'm pretty sure it can handle some undergrad homework. Already has monitor and OS, keyboard, mouse shenanigans.

Approximate Purchase Date: obviously soon.
Budget Range: ON SPREADSHEET
System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming
Parts Not Required: os monitor keyboard mouse
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: whatever works better. you suggest it sir. gigabyte 580 from amazon cause no tax yet.
Country of Origin: in america!
Parts Preferences: none
Overclocking: i5-2500k much?
SLI or Crossfire: Nah.
Monitor Resolution: single monitor. 1080p i bet.
Additional Comments: :eek:

The 580 is a bad buy when a 6950 CF setup offers significantly better performance for the same $$$. Plus the 6950 has 2 GB VRAM and the card you linked only has 1.5 GB. The 6950 CF setup delivers 60% more performance on average.

flashfir

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010

Ooh, yes forgot that microstuttering disappears in higher end xfire/sli. Thanks for the tip! Yikes that means needa get some ROCK SOLID, not even modxstream 700w will be super safe.

Unfortunately I have no first hand experience, but yes apparently microstuttering isn't usually a problem with higher end cards from what I hear. If your friend is susceptible to it at all - people react to it differently.

flashfir

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010

My bad. Being a little rambunctious. You gotta admit though, someone posting that then me misinterpreting them posting that and leaving could be a little provoking to someone who's being a little sensitive :kaola: