Sign in with
Your question

What's a good upgrade from a Pegatron M2N78-LA (Violet)

Last response: in Motherboards
November 28, 2012 9:20:26 PM

My PC recently crashed and I was told that the MOBO was bricked and that the HDD wasn't recoverable. Everything else is still good thankfully and I plan on using those parts instead of buying new ones.

I am using a HP pavilion p6130y http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Docume...

The original MOBO was a Pegatron M2N78-LA (Violet) which is what came with it.

This is what I have.

PSU: OCZ-ZT550W ZT Series 550W

CPU: Phenom X4 9750

RAM: 8GB (4x2GB) (Whatever came with it originally DDR2 I believe. I am willing to upgrade since it seems there aren't a lot of DDR2 MOBO anymore)

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 1GB DDR5 PCI-e

What I need is a MOBO that can use these. Is there anything that would just fit in the tower like the original MOBO or should I just get another Pegatron M2N78-LA. I never had problems with the original and it can run games like Skyrim really well.

The reason I need something about the same size and stuff is because I am paying someone to do this.

EDIT: Would this work?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I realize that the dimensions are a little off from mine (Mine is 9.6" x 9.6" , and this is a 9.6" x 7.8") and that it has two less RAM slots, but I don't know if it would work or not. Would there be any soldering required for it to fit? I don't know a lot about motherboards so I apologize if my questions seem stupid.
a c 435 V Motherboard
November 29, 2012 11:36:50 AM

Yes, the asrock will work fine. Search for some youtube videos about installing new motherboards. Also be aware that you may have to experiment with the position of the case lead plastic connector. It may not match perfectly. I simply leave the unwired holes hanging off the pins since they're useless anyway. Move it around up or down until your case fires up and all the indicator lights work. The "system panel header" is number 16 on page 13 of the asrock motherboard manual: ftp://174.142.97.10/manual/A785GM-LE.pdf. Also be sure your ram is all the way in the slots. Unseated ram will cause a no post or reboot loop. You should hear two clicks as you install the ram and the clips close down.
m
l
Related resources
!