Sign in with
Your question
Closed

External GPU Question

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 29, 2011 3:24:35 PM

Hey everyone,

Complete noob here, but trying to learn. I recently purchased a laptop with a crappy Intel HD card. My question is about building an external GPU with PSU and PCIe to expresscard adapter. I have read countless threads about how it can not or shouldn't be done, but I stumbled across the How To and was hoping to replicate something similar.

How to here -> http://www.techradar.com/news/computing-components/grap...

SO to make this short, my questions are.

1. If I get a GPU PSU, one that is built to power the GPU, does the video card just pull power from the PSU or does it also try to pull power from the PCIe connection?

2. I have found PCIe/expresscard adapters with a supposed 2.5GB/s transfer rate - Would this be a quick enough bandwidth for gaming?

3. Hypothetically is it possible and what are the problems or limitations of a good PCIe GPU hooked to a separate PSU, and connected to a PCIe/express card adapter attached to a laptop?

Sorry if this has been gone over tons of times, but it seems good in theory unless I am missing something totally obvious because I am completely new to all of this.

More about : external gpu question

August 29, 2011 6:30:08 PM

I'm constantly amazed at what people will do just to be able to move their computer. Have you considered adding a handle to to a desktop? Then you can carry it around like a suitcase. I've actually been doing that since the very first computer I built.
Score
August 29, 2011 7:04:19 PM

Quote:
1. it sucks power from the PSU and PCI-E, which according to the article also has it's power supplied by the PSU
2. low end GPUs should run fine, something around a 5550 ?
3. Problem and limitation? mobility. Companies like VAIO already have this kind of external GPU systems, but with flashy, glossy cases sold with their ultra thin laptops.

The most significant limitation I can think of would be the availability of the hardware and it's cost, if u wanted performance, u should have opt for a desktop. and also, does ur laptop have an external PCI-E?

Thanks for the response - I'm just wondering if it will try to pull too much power and since it is going through an adapter and connected to a low watt output (laptop) if I could fry something. The GPU PSU would be plenty powerful though.
I'm not too worried about mobility, my real concern was cost. I have access to cheap and free quality PSUs and desktop GPUs, but the adapter seems tricky and this is a new laptop so I don't want to damage it.

If I can't do this for under $100 (GPU will cost me about $20 and the power supply about $15) out the door. Then it is not worth it. I am very pressed for space in my place, but I guess if I go the desktop route, I will put it on the left side of my closet and make a mini man cave. Kinda help me get in the zone.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
August 30, 2011 11:18:32 AM

i think you should read this:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/ViDock-Thunderbolt-PCI-Ex...

forgot to mention Welcome to THF! :D  and if you struck for space have you considered a Mini-ITX build?
August 30, 2011 2:51:46 PM

Thanks for helping me out all. I came across this and it pretty much answers every question I have. I'm going to go for it, but am just a bit afraid of screwing something up. Wish I had an eGPU mentor.

Anyways if this thread is not stickied on TH, it should be. It is an amazing resource.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/gaming-software-graphic...
Score
September 9, 2011 4:06:34 AM

Best answer selected by elicash80.
Score
October 2, 2011 11:09:16 PM

Quote:
1. it sucks power from the PSU and PCI-E, which according to the article also has it's power supplied by the PSU
2. low end GPUs should run fine, something around a 5550 ?
3. Problem and limitation? mobility. Companies like VAIO already have this kind of external GPU systems, but with flashy, glossy cases sold with their ultra thin laptops.

The most significant limitation I can think of would be the availability of the hardware and it's cost, if u wanted performance, u should have opt for a desktop. and also, does ur laptop have an external PCI-E?

Where can I get an external GPU? Any stores, websites, or anything? Would appreciate a response.
Score
January 23, 2012 11:11:34 PM

ram1009 said:
I'm constantly amazed at what people will do just to be able to move their computer. Have you considered adding a handle to to a desktop? Then you can carry it around like a suitcase. I've actually been doing that since the very first computer I built.

The Compaq Portable, Compaq's first product (1983), was a thirty-pound PC with a carry handle on top--and a 640x350 CRT on the bottom!
Score
a c 272 U Graphics card
January 23, 2012 11:12:01 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!