Drop in unemployment doesn't mesh with Republicans' script

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drop in unemployment doesn't mesh with Republicans' script

The news that unemployment dropped again amid signs that the economy is gaining steam arrives at a perilous moment for the GOP, which has fashioned much of its political message around the argument that President Obama's policies suppress job growth.

According to the Labor Department, the jobless rate has dropped a full percentage point — to 8.8% — since November 2010, coincidentally when the GOP made its major gains in Congress and seized control of the House.

Key Republicans reacted Friday by saying the numbers were good, but not good enough. But given the state of play on Capitol Hill, with a government shutdown looming and a Republican bloodthirst for more spending cuts, there was little more to say beyond that.

My biggest concern is the 'new normal' for unemployment in the USA will be 6-7% instead of an historical (hysterical?) 4-5%. High growth areas may return to the 5% range but much of the country will struggle with 9-10% (or higher as exists today) unemployment.

Good news that your economy is picking up.

Hopefully this will follow with a resurgence in the housing market there.

That is the best indicator of real growth ... new home starts / increase in new mortgages.

We found one of the best measures at a local level is to count how many new bins the council allocates on a monthly basis ... it is a solid measure for a given suburb.

One of our fastest growing regions (suburbs) pushes 30 to 45 new bins a month.

I got this little gem from our major ...

Thing is either the Dems or Reps will take credit, but in reality, the market just has gotten itself repaired. The economic crash was like a computer: Too much crap going on, it got stressed, blue screened, crashed and reset itself. Problem solved.

Genny

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
I'd certainly be more excited if it included the 'underemployed' or those that simply stopped looking for work as well. I still believe it'll be another twenty years before we break even.

Agreed, there's no argument that the unemployment figures are artificially low. They do not count the underemployed, the people whose unemployment benefits have run out, or the people who have left the job market for whatever reasons.

Genny has it right. The U.S. economy is on a precipice. Most of the "growth" has been in the financial sector, which produces nothing; they just move massive amounts of OPM around, skimming the flow like leeches. The manufacturing sector is really hurting. Our dollar is circling the bowl; already there are places that will no longer accept US Dollars as payment. Government got us into this mess with their runaway spending, selling us all (U.S. citizens) into endless tax slavery, but anyone who expects Government to get us out of it is a fool.

wanamingo

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011

You mean we would actually have to pay a fair price for our products!?!? CAPITALISM GET IN HERE!

reconviperone1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
The Gop party is as un-american as you can get, while at the gym I was watching the news and the Gop want to ban interracial marriage, my jaw dropped, it was like i was time warped to 1930. I suppose next they will want to put all non-christians in concentration camps.

It is all political claim my friend.

If you think that the GOP will put non Christians in concentration camps, just look at the McCarthyism being pulled on the Muslims.

I am Christian. I feel what you believe is between you and God. We are not to judge, yet we do, Christian or not.

I feel we should vote out ALL these idiot politicians and restart with a clean slate. Put the people, not any other person, just a good hearted average American who will ACTUALLY serve his fellow countrymen. Thomas Jefferson at eat everyone should hold a political office to keep the power balanced.

reconviperone1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006

Well said, Even though I grew up in a different era, I teach my children my children tolerance of EVERYONE!, so it shocked me when my daughter with provocation from her Christian mom attacked my Buddhist beliefs,so we had to have the talk again.

In essence, Buddhism does not exclude Christianity and the teachings of Jesus, but that's not the way the church tells it o_O. Anyway, capitalism works on incentives, on what's best for the individual, and if that's not what's best for the country that's too bad. Republicans who say they are for Capitalism and made in America (which is Nationalism) don't actually understand what they are talking about. What they do understand is doing what's best for their stock portfolio :D.

I should add that while I agree with certain liberal ideas, I feel current democrats are spineless cowards without strong leadership. As such I don't really have a party -_-. It's getting pretty political and religious for a hardware forum ^_^

HansVonOhain

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009

MSNBC? You would call that a credible news source?

:lol:

Anyways.

No shutdown. Obviously it will be 39 Bill in savings. Looks pretty good for the Reps right now. I will venture to guess they will blame the Dems over this stalemate.

I hate our politicians. 2012, I WILL VOTE for new guys in office.

Genny

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
To be fair a minimum of 20% of the population will agree to anything. Democrats are as collectively stupid as Republicans. People that believe there is a difference between Democrats and Republicans are equally stupid. This isn't an American phenomenon either; every country in the world is largely the same way.

wanamingo

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011

I agree with this statement

Status
Not open for further replies.