Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Modem - PC - Wireless Router = Wireless Internet?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
March 4, 2011 1:25:55 PM

I would like to know if this is even possible before I go out and buy a wireless router.

I live in the sticks and due to trees and such I can only get Internet with a USB modem from my cell phone provider. Which is great I have Internet, Yippy! The down side is only one computer gets to have the internet at a time and my ipod touch and other wireless gadgets are now pretty paper weights, boo.

I would like to know if I take my USB modem connected to my PC ( HP p6210y, Windows 7 64-bit) and than connect a wireless router... can I make wireless Internet without having to buy one of those hot spots from Sprint (which works for crap out by me).

I figure there has got to be a way to do this. It is going to be sad if this won't work. I spent six months fighting with Frontier Communications because I live within five miles of a DSL station, but no there is no "room" for us to get decent Internet. This is a whole other story.

Best solution

March 4, 2011 2:46:40 PM

i would think something like this would work but I have never tried it

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/howtos/howto_turn_your...

another idea.. do you have a smart phone that allows you to make it a wireless hotspot? I know you can do this with some verizon/att phones.
March 4, 2011 4:15:30 PM

thendershot said:
i would think something like this would work but I have never tried it

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/howtos/howto_turn_your...

another idea.. do you have a smart phone that allows you to make it a wireless hotspot? I know you can do this with some verizon/att phones.

Nope, I do not have a smart phone and I have US Cellular because it is the only thing that works well out by me. Att is awful out here. Also, my sister used to work for Verizon and she couldn't even get a signal in the Verizon store she worked in.
m
l
Related resources
March 4, 2011 4:38:05 PM

Well I went and ordered a Cradlepoint router. I didn't know these routers existed. We'll have to see how it works after it gets here.
Thanks for the suggestion.
m
l
March 11, 2011 1:55:07 PM

Best answer selected by jenhedge.
m
l
May 16, 2011 9:28:54 PM

jenhedge said:
Well I went and ordered a Cradlepoint router. I didn't know these routers existed. We'll have to see how it works after it gets here.
Thanks for the suggestion.

hi jen,

Wanted to check in to see how the CradlePoint + UBS Broadband Modem solution is working?
m
l
!