darkconquistador

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
I'm currently building a new gaming PC but I'm having a couple of problems.

1. I'm using a ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard for the build with a Rosewill CHALLENGER case. I'm trying to install a MSI GTX580 Lighting 3.0gb video card but it won't fit because of the drive bays. Is there a way to take them out or should I avoid the headache and return it and find a new one with enough space? If so I want to stick with a Mid tower.

2. The cpu cooler what was sent was an Corsair A-70 air cooler but that is for the 1156 series processor. Is the fan that comes with the proccessor enough if I don't overclock or should I find another one?

Solution
Well, it doesn't allow you to remove the drive trays "easily". Im sure there are youtube videos of "custom mods" on that case to remove them. There is most likely a way to do it, even if you have to be a little creative. But, like abekl said, do your research on case dimensions and gpu dimensions. this will save you a lot of headaches in the future.
As far as I can tell the Challanger does not allow you to remove any drive bays. The only option is to get a different case with enough room. Read the specs fpor your card length and case space carefully. You need a case that will accept a 12" long card. This case will accomodate the card if you remove the bays.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119240

As for the cooler, the 1156 and 1155 processor socket dimensions are the same, as are the screw holes for the cooler mounts.

casualbuilder

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
Well, it doesn't allow you to remove the drive trays "easily". Im sure there are youtube videos of "custom mods" on that case to remove them. There is most likely a way to do it, even if you have to be a little creative. But, like abekl said, do your research on case dimensions and gpu dimensions. this will save you a lot of headaches in the future.

Solution

atomiczam

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
I have a Challenger for my build and I can tell you unless you want to break out the hacksaw it just won't work; there's no way to take out the drive bays. If you still can you're better off returning it and going with full ATX tower for the 580. If I could I'd return it anyway, even with added side fans it has horrible airflow.

And on the cooler it should work, the 1155 is basically just a 1156 turned a tiny bit. The cooler might not fit perfectly square to the rest of the board but it should fit on there.

darkconquistador

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
As for the cooler, the 1156 and 1155 processor socket dimensions are the same, as are the screw holes for the cooler mounts.[/quotemsg]

Thanks for the guidance on the case. Yes the cooler installs, however it is too big and covers the first two memory slots on the MB.

casualbuilder

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
OEM fan is plenty. Always are. The company would not risk RMA's for an insufficient stock fan. Frankly, if you are only gaming and doing light or even moderate application use, 8Gb is plenty of ram, so you could get some money back. However, if you are doing heavy multi-threaded applications, i would keep the 16GB you have already bought.