First time build, need advice.

jack246

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
Hi everyone, after a convincing my mother for the longest time, I have been given the go ahead to build my own desktop. I would love any advice I can get as I am still new to all this and wouldn't want my mum to blame me for not getting a prebuilt one in the event I screw things up. Done a little reading and research here and there and came up with this. Main motive for building this new desktop is to play Battlefield 3 (finally the retail is out, hopefully can get more accurate advice), Skyrim, Modern Warfare 3, and perhaps some other games but yet, it's still a family PC for everything else from word processing to general internet surfing.

Approximate Purchase Date: IN 2-3 DAYS TIME!

Budget Range: SGD $2300-$2400 (cheaper the better of course)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Watching Blu-Ray Movies, General web surfing and word processing.

Parts Not Required: Blu-ray player/burner

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Not buying online. Still would appreciate newegg links to look at the parts.

Country of Origin: Singapore

Parts Preferences: Intel, Nvidia

Overclocking: Yes (most likely just using the auto-overclocker on mobo to juice up the CPU to ~4.5ghz?)

SLI or Crossfire: No, don't really know about this so planning to stay out. Hopefully, one card=less problems=enough for what I need

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 (getting a new monitor, suggestions?)

Additional Comments: Well, I think I'm pretty set on getting the NZXT Phantom case and GTX 580. The rest.. please do advice! Colour coordinated build would also be nice, and of course, quiet is always an added advantage.

So, the parts I've come up with so far are

CPU: i5-2500k (best cpu for gaming?)

MOBO: Seriously confused here
1. Asus P8Z68 V-Pro
2. Asrock Extreme 3 Gen 3
3. Asrock Extreme 4 Gen 3

No idea which one, Asrock has PCI-E 3.0? but is that really an added advantage? and Extreme 4 has USB 3.0 but the others don't? not sure if I really need it. Advice here GREATLY APPRECIATED.

RAM: [strike]G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB 1600mhz CL9[/strike] (heard may have some problems fitting the after market cooler with the heatsink)
Corsair Vengance Low profile 8GB 1600mhz CL9 or should I get G.Skill Sniper 8GB 1600mhz CL9?<-Cheaper in SG

Cooler: Hyper Master 212+

GPU: MSI GTX580 Twin Frozr II

PSU: No idea how much I need here, 650W? 750W? With only over clocking the CPU and maybe a tiny bit on the GPU. Help!!

SSD: Crucial M4 128GB

HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 7200rpm 1TB

Case: NZXT Phantom (there's a version with a USB 3.0 in the front panel and one without. Guess it depends on the Mobo.)

DVD: HP DVDRW

So all that up there altogether costs about ~SGD$2300 considering a Corasir HX750W as the PSU and Asus P8Z68 mobo. Will this build be able to max settings at games like BF3? Decided to build this desktop myself as I wanted the desktop to be upgradeable easily in the future and also, hopefully get it cheaper.

So any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Cheers:D