Digital camera not operating in cold weather ?

I am having problems with my Fuji 3800 operating at tempartures below
32F to capture some nice winter scenes.

Anyone else having this problem ?
If the phone doesn't ring, you'll know it's me....

HalKin@SFSys.com
8 answers Last reply
More about digital camera operating cold weather

    On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 20:12:48 GMT, Socrates wrote:

    > I am having problems with my Fuji 3800 operating at tempartures below
    > 32F to capture some nice winter scenes.

    What kind of problems? Exposure? (pun not intended). Does the
    camera simply power off? I used a similar Fuji (also used 4 AAs) at
    temperatures slightly colder than that using freshly charged NiMH
    batteries and when I stopped taking pictures several hours later the
    batteries still had life left in them. But in cold weather such as
    this, both NiMH and alkaline batteries will not last nearly as long
    as they normally do. If you have to take pictures at that
    temperature (or even in much colder weather), a set of lithium AAs,
    while fairly expensive, are what you want to use. Their capacity is
    hardly effected by cold weather. As a rough guide, if in mild
    weather a camera can get 150 shots from alkalines, 300 shots from
    NiMH batteries, it might get 700 shots from lithium. At
    temperatures well below 32F these battery capacities might drop to
    20, 30 and 600 shots, respectively. These numbers aren't very
    precise, but looking at battery data sheets you can see that
    alkalines and NiMH battery capacities drop of markedly at low
    temperatures, and keeps dropping rapidly as the weather gets colder.
    Lithiums only start to lose significant amounts of capacity when the
    temperature drops well below zero (Farenheit). With all of these
    batteries, if they're allowed to warm up again, they'll appear to
    have magically revived, so the cold weather doesn't "use up" battery
    power, it just makes it harder for the batteries to deliver their
    power since cold weather slows that rate of chemical processes
    within the batteries. Now after all that, I hope you don't tell us
    that your problem was really about slow or inexact focusing where
    the subjects were snowmen against a background of more snow. :)

    Socrates wrote:
    > I am having problems with my Fuji 3800 operating at tempartures below
    > 32F to capture some nice winter scenes.
    >
    > Anyone else having this problem ?
    > If the phone doesn't ring, you'll know it's me....
    >
    > HalKin@SFSys.com

    Make sure you have good well charged batteries. You may need a
    different kind of battery than what you are now using.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia's Muire duit

    On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 20:12:48 GMT, Socrates <hkinney@adelphia.net> wrote:

    >I am having problems with my Fuji 3800 operating at tempartures below
    >32F to capture some nice winter scenes.
    >
    >Anyone else having this problem ?
    >If the phone doesn't ring, you'll know it's me....

    Try using Alkaline batteries.

    In article <o9m461hhguh4t69ghvh5euk7tf1o81f4be@4ax.com>,
    Dave <dwilson@mailinator.com> wrote:
    >On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 20:12:48 GMT, Socrates <hkinney@adelphia.net> wrote:
    >
    >>I am having problems with my Fuji 3800 operating at tempartures below
    >>32F to capture some nice winter scenes.
    >>
    >>Anyone else having this problem ?
    >>If the phone doesn't ring, you'll know it's me....
    >
    >Try using Alkaline batteries.

    Check your camera's specs. There may be a limitation unrelated to
    battery type.

    Try Lithium batteries if they work in your camera. Depending on the
    type they work at a lower temp than you do. (as low as -40F ISTR)

    If yoiu google for the manufacturer and part code for your batteries
    you will probably find a PDF spec sheet that shows temp limitations.

    FWIW, one night when I knew the temps were going into the single
    digits (Def F) I put my dRebel on the back porch and left it for the
    morning. Before dawn I got up and shot a few flash shots. It worked
    fine. If I was going to spend the day in those temps I'd bring two or
    three batteries and keep them warm in the jacket, but I know the
    camera would work.

    --
    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

    Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

    Thank you for the input, lithium sounds like the solution to my
    non-operational problem at lower temps.

    On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 18:45:59 -0400, ASAAR <caught@22.com> wrotf:

    Socrates wrote:

    > I am having problems with my Fuji 3800 operating at tempartures below
    > 32F to capture some nice winter scenes.

    When shooting in cold weather, I always keep my camera
    inside my coat, pull it out to shoot, and put it right
    back in again. That should eliminate the problem.

    If you do that though, be careful not to keep it
    outside the coat for a long time. It might be possible
    for moisture to be in the warm air inside the camera
    that would condense to water droplets in the cold air.

    I'm not sure that would happen. The camera might be
    well sealed with only dry air inside. Even if it's not
    well sealed, the air inside your coat may be quite dry.
    But it's something to consider, especially if you may
    be sweating inside the coat.

    Alan

    On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 08:41:40 -0400, Socrates wrote:

    > Thank you for the input, lithium sounds like the solution to my
    > non-operational problem at lower temps.

    You're welcome. If you still have problems it will be due to a
    problem with the camera, not the batteries. The Energizer package
    states that their E2 lithium batteries are suitable for operation
    within the range of minus 40 to plus 140 degress Fahrenheit.

    ASAAR wrote:
    > On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 08:41:40 -0400, Socrates wrote:
    >

    >>Thank you for the input, lithium sounds like the solution to my
    >>non-operational problem at lower temps.
    >

    > You're welcome. If you still have problems it will be due to a
    > problem with the camera, not the batteries. The Energizer package
    > states that their E2 lithium batteries are suitable for operation
    > within the range of minus 40 to plus 140 degress Fahrenheit.

    If it gets colder or hotter than that, you won't find ME out in it!

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

Phones Photo Cameras