Installed graphics card, now sound doesn't work

Stats0

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
I just installed a Radeon HD6670 into my computer (HP Compaq dc7900 convertible mini tower) and now my sound doesn't work. I think it's a problem with SoundMAX drivers.

I've been hunting around on the internet for hours and I can't find drivers for SoundMAX, or any other solution for that matter. It seems as though it may have something to do with the on-board sound system being turned off during installation of the card and needing to re-enable it in BIOS but I a)don't know how to do that and b) am not sure that's even the problem.

I'm really not informed enough on computers, in particular sound, to know what to do, so any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

JoeMomma

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
Here are my ideas.

1. When you installed the graphics card it may have changed your sound output to the HDMI port on the graphic card. Go to control panel > sound and make sure speakers is the default device It should have a green check mark. If not, at the bottom of that window you should see buttons for Configure, Set Default and Properties. First set default, then config and props.

2. The BIOS may have been affected by the graphics card. When the computer is first turned on look at the bottom of the screen for what to press to enter BIOS or SETUP. If you are too slow, hold CTRL+ALT+DEL at the same time to re-start. Look for Integrated Peripherals and make sure the Audio is enabled or auto. Then find PnP/PCI setup and then find Reset IRQ or config data. The graphics may have 'stolen' the sound IRQ.

Good Luck

Stats0

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
Thanks for the replies.

I have tried the first two with no success. When I boot my computer and go to setup, I can't find Integrated Peripherals, I found something called onboard devices though and enabled something to do with the audio.

However this didn't change anything. I found something to do with PCI and I think there was something to do with IRQ when I entered that but I didn't want to mess with it. There wasn't any reset option, there were some 3 or 4 digit numbers corresponding to the IRQ though, but again, I wasn't sure if it was the right thing and didn't want to change anything.

Do you think maybe I should check all the options for the IRQ thing I found?