New build boot loop no post no beep.

xkegsx

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
Hey all,

Having a problem with a new build I'm building for a friend.

Parts:

CPU: i5-2500k
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
Ram: G.Skill F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 2x4gb ddr3 1600
PSU: Cooler Master RS700-PCAAE3-US 700W
Vid: Galaxy 56NGH6HS4IXZ GeForce GTX 560 Ti
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB
Optical: ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS
Case: CM Storm Scout

Problem:
After getting everything connected when pushing the power button the computer will power on for about 5 seconds, reboot, then power on for 20 seconds, reboot, and continue this until i manually power it down. No beeps, no post, nothing displays on monitor, no lights on mobo light up except for all of them on initial power up.

Troubleshooting:
Have both ATX power connections going to mobo. CPU fan is connected. Checked all mounts. Brought computer down to 1 stick of ram and bare essentials. Same problem. This is my 3rd LGA 1155 build so far. Tried displaying through onboard and the graphics card. Nothing.

Ideas:
The last time this happened to me was using the stock heatsink for my i7-920 build with stock paste that came on the heatsink. After getting some IC Diamond 7 and applying it everything was fine. To me that seems like it may be the problem as it seems as though the mobo is trying to preserve the processor from overheating. It'll be the first thing I try later today. Didn't have any last night. However, I am trying to get all my ducks in a row so throw your ideas out at me.

Thanks!

casualbuilder

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
If the paste doesnt work, it could be the PSU. Cooler Master makes mediocre psu's at best, and even their flagship SilentPRO is overlooked due to this. While your wattage is plenty, it could be a bad PSU. do you have any methods of checking the voltage on the 24-pin and 8-pin? Those would be my first guess even before the thermal paste.

xkegsx

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011

Unfortunately my only way to test psu would be to bring it to microcenter and hope they'd be willing to help me out. I checked pins on mobo as well. All fine. You know of a poor mans way to check the power connectors. Every build in the past year I've used ocz modxstream 700w. Thisone came with case but isn't cheap a la Carte either but I hear ya.

casualbuilder

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
Well, to get the correct voltage, no. to see if power is running through it, use the paperclip trick. I believe unplugged, bend a paper clip to stick one end into the black and one end into the green. Im not fond of this method, and honestly, you can get a good PSU tester for around $15.

xkegsx

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011

How's this one?

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0266741

I love that Microcenter exists by me but I hate hate hate paying tax and paying MSRP but I guess I'll have to. I've never had to purchase any extra tools as all builds have either just worked or was some easy fix like power connector not installed or extra mounting screw. I'll be buying any tools and keeping them. Probably should have a long time ago building 5+ computers a year. Had to happen sometime I guess. Again, thanks for the early replies and information.

xkegsx

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011

I'm actually in NJ so there's tax lol. I need it now but if Microcenter takes them back I'll try to return it. Thanks.

xkegsx

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011

Alright I've found that when I have 1 stick of ram installed in the 4 slot it will post. however, when I add another stick of ram it will not post. Could this just be a bad mobo or could it be something else. The ram is staggered in the right spots.

xkegsx

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
After taking the 2nd stick out to prevent the boot loop, on post, when going into MIT settings it says the system has recovered from an overvoltage/clocking error. I had manually set the ram to ddr 1333 instead of its rated 1600. Voltage at 1.5. Doesn't fix anything. Manually set ram timings to spec, same problem. Use XMP settings, same problems. Updated bios to latest revision. Any ideas?

xkegsx

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
Ive tried this with another set of ram same story. Patriot ddr 3 1600 cas 8 1.65 v. I can get 2 sticks of ram working when I set the frequency to 1066. This mean anything to anyone?

xkegsx

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011

Taken from Gigabyte website:

4 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 32 GB of system memory
* Due to Windows 32-bit operating system limitation, when more than 4 GB of physical memory is installed, the actual memory size displayed will be less than 4 GB.
Dual channel memory architecture
Support for DDR3 2133/1866/1600/1333/1066 MHz memory modules
Support for non-ECC memory modules
Support for Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) memory modules

xkegsx

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011

It's a 64 bit processor. I haven't even installed windows yet remember. But yes I have 64-bit windows. The problem isn't that windows won't recognize it it's that if there's more than 1 stick of ram over 1066 it wont post and goes into boot loop.

xkegsx

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011

Yep.. ended up getting a coolmax psu checker. Everything fine. It was actually impressive. everything was either exact to spec or .1 off.

xkegsx

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
Latest BIOS. Didn't clear cmos. Can't install drivers without windows I don't think. Something else I noticed. If I put a single stick in any slot but the 4 spot it won't post either. Could it just be bad ram slots?

xkegsx

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011

Thanks for sticking it out with me.