New build boot issues

built a new pc asus maximus iv extreme-z, 2600k cpu, ripjaw x 1866 ram, xfx 6970 2gb gpu

the computer starts up for about 2 seconds then shuts down and repeats over and over any help?

also, do i have to reinstall windows 7 if im using the same hard drives but new cpu and mobo?
8 answers Last reply
More about build boot issues
  1. Yes, the mobo and hdd lock with the OS. if you change one, you need to reinstall. also, do you have proper thermal paste applied and the heatsink/cpu seated correctly? what psu did you buy? make and model, watts, and amps.
  2. what power supply are you using?
  3. Perform EVERY step in our troubleshooting checklist and let us know how it goes. The checklist was created to troubleshoot this exact type of problem. There's a link to the checklist in my signature.
  4. The most common fix is likely resetting the CMOS by removing the battery AND resetting the jumper. The instructions are in the ASUS manual.
  5. im using a 1k watt corsair psu so im pretty surs its enough for what im running, as far as thermal paste goes, its the pre-applied paset on the corsair H100
  6. It sounds like just a bad psu. It might be giving enough power to actually get things like the drives and fans and things going, but then crapping out when it needs to get booting.
  7. im using a year old corsair HX1k, so i dont think the PSU is bad, it powered my dual 5870 p6t se mobo and my 12 gb of corsair ram up until a few days ago so im pretty sure that its fine
  8. the brand and model are good, but it doesnt mean that they dont go bad. use a power supply tester, and make sure. That is my best guess though with what you have said. i own HXxxxx from Corsair too, they are great units. every unit though can go bad, no matter what.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build CPUs New Build Systems