FX 8120 or i5-2500k?

Novulux

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
I am heading off to a nearby Micro Center in a few days to purchase parts for a new computer. I was planning on getting an i5-2500k with the $50 off mobo bundle initially.
Now that there are deals with various FX processors, I am pondering my choices.
I could get the:
FX 8120 and
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128519
for $200
or an
i5-2500k and
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131781
for $250 (or any other Z68 mobo from Micro Center at a similar price)

I am a light gamer, but it may simply be a result of my current lackluster set-up and subject to change. I plan on doing some video-editing on the side. I am currently trying to save money when possible; basically, what I want to know if there will be any significant hits to performance in low to mid range gaming (Minecraft, Source Games, Mount and Blade, various indie games) or working with video.
I already have 16GB of Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz. I plan to use an HD5770 that I have for now, at least until the next gen cards from AMD and Nvidia are released.

Thank you for your time.

If he gets a good board, it should be able to support it.

Novulux

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
I should probably add that the AMD board I linked is only one of "A FEW EXAMPLES of the SPECIAL DEALS on MOTHERBOARDS with PURCHASE of SELECT AMD FX Processors" that they claim to have. I will most likely ask them for more examples.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

Thats a dangerous question to ask around here, People see AMD and immediately think your an idiot for even thinking. However, you have already done half the work for decing what to get for your needs.

2 questions to ask.

1: are you planning on overclocking?
2: is the video-editing software thread friendly? meaning can it take advantage of 8 cores.

If either answer is no, then AMD is not the choice, but IF you overclock and the program takes advantage of the cpu's resources, then AMD is a very viable solution.
As for gaming, you will have more than enough cpu power for the 5770. only time AMD starts to look weaker is when you start to move into tri-crossfire or tri-sli, otherwise its ~5-10% in the 100+ fps range, or in laymans terms, the difference is invisible to the naked eye.

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
for those games, a cheap duel core is sufficient
:eek: are you getting a 100$ board + 250$ cpu in 200$ only
for video and photo editing with suitable softaware fx8 is better than i5,
also with suitable software nvidia cuda core (like 560 with 448core) can save your time in this kind of stuff/work

rage33

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
If your a fan of AMD and like to overclock and tweak get the 8120, if you like Intel for their raw performance and simplicity you should get the i5-2500k. Both system with satisfy your needs.

both are good for your needs and will perform quite well but the i5 is a bit better if you plan on going full on gaming and buying a high end graphics card.

the FX will be better at video editing, encoding and rendering.

Get which ever one is cheaper unless you plan on going very heavily into gaming or editing.

i wouldnt worry to much about pci-e 3 as the cards that use it will be backwards compatible with most pci-e 2.0 sockets as it would be to much outlay by the manufacturers just to make them 3.0 exclusive... yes it would be nice to have but really its not absolutely necessary as pci-e 2.0 is hardly approaching its bandwidth allocation.