/ Sign-up
Your question

New PSU for my PC

• Power Supplies
  • Components
Last response: in Components
January 28, 2012 7:21:12 AM

so I have had this problem with the new BF3 game causing my PC to deep freeze when put under high stress. After some research I found it is probably caused by a weak (read not strong enough) PSU. As I am not much of a HW geek, I would ask those of you who feel comfortable about this stuff to lend me a hand.

So this is my PC setup:
Radeon HD5850 1GB, GDDR5
CPU Interl i3-540 (3,06GHz)
HDD SG Barracuda 7200.12, 500GB
RAM Geil 2x2GB DDR3 2133MHz
COOLER Arctic Cooling Xtreme (rev.2)
(Case Revoltec Cathoden Twin set)

And that all is currently powered by PSU Enermax PRO82+ II, 425W.

I do not know if 500W PSU would be enough or if I shouldn't take the chances and go for a 600W one instead.
I would prefer a cheap, yet effective and quiet PSU that will last (won't have to return it to the seller every 2 months). So far I have considered buying Seasonic M12II-620 but I have no idea whether it's good or not.

Thank you for your time and advices in advance.

More about : psu

a b ) Power supply
January 28, 2012 7:49:41 AM

That Seasonic is a verry good PSU. Seasonic make the best PSU's , you can find some other brands what are Seasonic inside like some Corsair and xfx PSU's. Antec is a good choice too.
January 28, 2012 8:04:44 AM

Isn't Enermax is a good enough quality PSU? But, if you want cheap quality PSU, Antec is your choice.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b ) Power supply
January 28, 2012 9:59:33 AM

I'd be surprised if it was PSU, what are your temps, and how many amps on the 12V rails does that PSU have?
a b ) Power supply
January 28, 2012 11:54:43 AM

Enermax, Seasonic, Etasis, Superflower(new ones), Enhance, Flextronics, and Zippy are the top... all consistently make Quality units.

The next step down have manufactures that make both really great units, but have some misses in there.

CWT (Corsair designed CWT have an excellent rep), FSP, Delta, Impervio, Sirtec, and Great Wall

A couple that have some winners as well, but less winners than others.

January 28, 2012 12:50:27 PM

If this one is good than I guess I will go with it. The problem with the current PSU isn't it not being good enough (like total said, Enermax is among the very top), I have an issue with it not being "strong" enough - my PC simply eats up more power than my PSU produces.

@13thmonkey, as stated above, I am not HW knowledgeable so I have no idea. I generally generally all temperatures below 40°C at peak. - including HDD, CPU, gfx. Not sure about the 12V rails or whatever, so I am posting all I could find
Not sure whether it's there or not :p 

Considering I've had a few issues regarding the same matter, I pretty much give all my chances into this being the problem.
a c 244 ) Power supply
January 29, 2012 12:19:08 PM

TheBasor said:
The problem with the current PSU isn't it not being good enough (like total said, Enermax is among the very top), I have an issue with it not being "strong" enough - my PC simply eats up more power than my PSU produces.

People generally tend to believe that thier systems use much more power than they actually do.

Running Furmark the 5850 uses 5 watts more power than an 8800 GTS 512

This system is running the OCCT psu test ( as if you couldn't tell ) , is similar to yours ( H55 / I3-540 ) , except for the 8800 GTS 512 ( and no light set )

Only way your psu can't / won't / doesn't provide enough power is if it is faulty.
February 2, 2012 11:51:07 AM

First of all, thank you very much delluser1. You really helped out. On a sidenote, I kinda do not understand why does it say the gfx needs at least 500W PSU to run. Anyways.

So my friend has recently bought (or more of I sold it to him) the exact same copy of the game I did. That is from the same reseller, in Russian and changed the language manually by using some language pack found on the internet. He pretty much has the same issue as I do, with the only exception that his game shuts down deliberately, but his PC still remains usable whereas my issue is with it deep freezing. So this pretty much helped to prove your point that the PSU isn't the issue in this case, neither is it faulty or not sufficient.

So, now I need your assistance with this: Is the matter about this whole thing in the copy of the game or in the language pack manually installed after the purchase?
a b ) Power supply
February 2, 2012 12:01:34 PM

They bump up what you really need on the recommendations "just to be safe"

February 2, 2012 1:11:17 PM

They sure did bump up a lot in this case. Almost a double :D