Would be thermal paste be okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kobalt Kour

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
Sorry, the title should be "Would my thermal paste be okay?".

Hey guys,
Today I installed my Hyper 212 Evo, however I found getting the screws in very difficult.
I used a pea-sized blob of thermal paste, as directed. However as I had difficulty with the screws, the heatsink was moving around a lot. Which means that the thermal paste was being moved around between the CPU and heatsink. A little bit of thermal paste leaked out of the side because of this (which I cleaned up).

I also once checked if the thermal paste was evenly spread on the CPU and lifted the heatsink (which it was). Though I heard you're not meant to do this.

I'm using a i7-2600K @ 4.5GHz and getting temps of 27C when I'm doing basically nothing and 57-60C using Prime95.
Do these seem like normal temperatures?

Should my thermal paste be okay?

dont be so sure. theres a reason we say replace the paste... with a fresh aplication theres no way to trap an air bubble. lifting then replacing the hsf can cause you to trap air and reduce performance... if you do go ahead make sure when you re aply the hsf you do it in such a way as to minimize the chances. by pressing it down and rotating it side to side gently till the hsf resists the rotation. if you dont feel any resistance then you will need to replace the paste. better safe than sorry with pc's...

Status
Not open for further replies.