Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Brand new 560 ti artifacts in Kombustor

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 29, 2011 11:16:56 PM

Okay i recently built my first gaming pc and today I decided to run a couple of benchmarks... Ungine Heaven was fine and there were no artifacts. Then I tried Furmark- it worked but the temperature was around 80 degrees. After that when I ran MSI Kombustor it runs fine at first- and colder than furmark by a little but then when it puts all the tests togeter, artifacts appear on the screen- lines going across the screen. All that happens with an EVGA 560 ti at stock speeds. Do you think its normal? What should I do? How about the temps?

The rest of my build:
Intel i5 2500k
Gigabyte z68x-ud3h-b3
G.skill Sniper 8 gigs @ 1600
1TB Seagate Barracuda 6Gb/s
Antec high current gamer series 750W
August 30, 2011 12:34:59 AM

Temperatures are quite high, but if they didn't go higher as 80 degrees /it's degree Celsius, right?/ they shouldn't damage your hardware.
Run the DirectX diagnostic tool and see the results.
August 30, 2011 1:32:02 AM

There are no problems found.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
August 30, 2011 1:35:19 AM

what are your fans speeds? 80c sounds really high for that model although it is a safe temp I would wonder if something is wrong at that temp
August 30, 2011 2:02:02 AM

I don't quite think that the fans go to 100% even when the card's at full load.
a b U Graphics card
August 30, 2011 3:23:40 AM

create an aggressive fan graph in msi afterburner do you have it on auto there mane? I usually go 50C 50% Fan and so on basically a 1 to 1 ratio
August 30, 2011 3:38:18 AM

Yes, it it on auto. So i should tun it up to 50 % and leave it like that at all timses or?
a b U Graphics card
August 30, 2011 4:31:42 AM

Or you can make fan profiles using RivaTuner. They're quite good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXr6IIj1sLY

Here's a tutorial. I'm not sure if the newer drivers from nvidia allows to create fan profiles or even control them.
If it doesn't work, then just slide it to 50% for all the time. :) 
August 30, 2011 4:51:48 AM

Nope. Rivatuner doesn't allow me to do the things in the tut. I'll turn the fan up to 50% and get an aftermarket cooler in the future.
a b U Graphics card
August 30, 2011 4:54:23 AM

I guess that seems like your only way right now. :) 
August 30, 2011 4:55:43 AM

If the DirectX diagnostic tool shows no problems, then you shouldn't actually have problems, at least when graphics are accelerated in DX mode.
The dxdiag is like THE tool, and what it says is conclusive. The only thing it doesn't do so much is pushing the hardware. If another tool or game or software says otherwise then the problem is actually in this other software. The other tools you use are performance measuring tools, but their results are not the ones that are conclusive about the possibility of the hardware to correctly perform DX.
So your hardware is OK, it only has some thermal issues /maybe/, but you can make fan profiles in the Nvidia control panel.

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
August 30, 2011 5:06:22 AM

no just go to settings, allow custom fan profile and just adjust the graph to your liking, its as simple as that and in some cases you may want to go higher than 50% so the profile allows for a gradual fan increment as temps rise.... MSI afterburner is single handedly the best program to do this imo...
August 30, 2011 5:19:25 AM

okay i tried what jjb8675309 said and when i run furmark temps quickly rise to 70 degrees and the fans should be running at 80% according to the graph. However, they remain at 30% >.<

EDIT: Okay I tried it with EVGA Precision and it worked but it needs to be open. can someone tell me how to keep it running in the background?
a b U Graphics card
August 30, 2011 5:50:00 AM

huh for me it works perfectly fine try closing msi completely then reopening and make sure your fan settings are still intact and beyond that I cannot help you, evga precision is garbage compared to afterburner imo but whatever works for you perhaps consider you cases airflow and adding a fan or two and maybe redoing your cables it sounds like your ambient and case temps are not too good to begin with, what is your airflow situation like bc 6870s even with an oc should really not be getting so hot imo... its not like you are increasing core voltage anyways, Im guessing that your airflow situation needs some attention to begin with which compounds the problem
August 30, 2011 5:55:19 AM

Use the stupid Nvidia control panel.
There generally is no guarantee that MSI's afterburner will work correctly with an EVGA card.
Unfortunately I don't know anything about the EVGA tool.
And IMHO you definitely shouldn't limit your max fan speed to 50%, it may be dangerous.
a c 216 U Graphics card
August 30, 2011 6:21:28 AM

stew669 said:
okay i tried what jjb8675309 said and when i run furmark temps quickly rise to 70 degrees and the fans should be running at 80% according to the graph. However, they remain at 30% >.<

EDIT: Okay I tried it with EVGA Precision and it worked but it needs to be open. can someone tell me how to keep it running in the background?

In order to apply the fan profile with MSI Afterburner, you do need to turn the fan on auto in the main screen near the fan speed.
a b U Graphics card
August 30, 2011 7:35:41 AM

^theres the missing link
August 30, 2011 4:37:19 PM

Ohhh, there was a little user-define button in msi afterburner that I guess I missed at 1 at night. Everything works now. Thanks guys :) 
RESULTS: After running furmark for 5 minutes, temps couldn't go over 76 degrees, opposed to the 80 i had before, and that was only after a minute or two
EDIT: Okay guys the artifacts thing was false alarm: as you can seehere , that guy got the same lines, so it's from the program itself, not my GPU *phew* but I'm wondering, who's the idiot that thought of putting vertical lines in a benchmark?
August 31, 2011 2:56:32 AM

Best answer selected by stew669.
a c 271 U Graphics card
February 24, 2012 5:16:26 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!