Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Help with choosing a router

Last response: in Wireless Networking
March 5, 2011 2:11:44 AM

I've happily spent the last 10 years with a Network Everywhere 4-port wired router. It's been a champ and I hate to retire it, but I have wireless needs now. But it seems the more I read about routers the more confused I get about which to buy. This model has this...but not that and etc.

I have 2 desktop computers on cable. 1 is a new Gateway and one is a few years old Dell XPS 400. I also would like to hook up a Roku box for streaming NetFlix and Hulu etc. I do torrents at times.

I want to have print sharing and also the ability to use ethernet cables if necessary. USB plug would be nice.

Guess I'd like a router with as many features as I can and still work with a computer a few years old. (does the XPS 400 have the older wireless specs? I just don't know)

YOUR ADVICE HERE WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED!!!

More about : choosing router

Best solution

March 5, 2011 1:47:00 PM

all modern N routers will support older B and G wireless.

most newer N routers will have 10/100/1000 Mb ports

some even come with simultaneous Daul Band wireless; however, there are not many devices out there that can take advantage of the 5GHz wireless bandwidth.

I like the Linksys E2000

Some of the routercome with a USB port for NAS or Printer Sharing

You could look at the Linksys E3000 or Netgear WNR3500L-100NAS
March 9, 2011 2:32:00 PM

MarinerMB said:
I've happily spent the last 10 years with a Network Everywhere 4-port wired router. It's been a champ and I hate to retire it, but I have wireless needs now. But it seems the more I read about routers the more confused I get about which to buy. This model has this...but not that and etc.

I have 2 desktop computers on cable. 1 is a new Gateway and one is a few years old Dell XPS 400. I also would like to hook up a Roku box for streaming NetFlix and Hulu etc. I do torrents at times.

I want to have print sharing and also the ability to use ethernet cables if necessary. USB plug would be nice.

Guess I'd like a router with as many features as I can and still work with a computer a few years old. (does the XPS 400 have the older wireless specs? I just don't know)

YOUR ADVICE HERE WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED!!!

Ty for your help
March 19, 2011 4:02:59 PM

Best answer selected by MarinerMB.
!