Dual Hard Drive Problem

I recently installed a second hard drive on my Dell 8100 running XP Home.
The drive is a Seagate 160 GB and I used the software "step-by-step" program
that came with the drive to install it. I am not well versed on computer
operations. When the computer boots up a screen pops up that shows Windows
XP on drive C (original drive) and Windows XP on drive F (new drive). The
problem is that when the computer starts, it defaults to the F drive if I do
not manually select the C drive within 30 seconds of the screen displaying
the "select drive" option. Is there a way to change the settings to have
the system default to the C drive that won't give me brain sprain.

Thanks,

George
2 answers Last reply
More about dual hard drive problem

    Hi,

    right click on my computer in the start menu
    click on properties
    click on advanced tab
    click on settings button in the third tab (start up and recovery)
    then u will see the window which says default operating system
    select the first one and then click on apply.
    if u want u can suppress that display of the os at startup by unchecking the box "time to display the list of operating systems"
    --
    Regards
    M. Rajesh

    "George" wrote:

    > I recently installed a second hard drive on my Dell 8100 running XP Home.
    > The drive is a Seagate 160 GB and I used the software "step-by-step" program
    > that came with the drive to install it. I am not well versed on computer
    > operations. When the computer boots up a screen pops up that shows Windows
    > XP on drive C (original drive) and Windows XP on drive F (new drive). The
    > problem is that when the computer starts, it defaults to the F drive if I do
    > not manually select the C drive within 30 seconds of the screen displaying
    > the "select drive" option. Is there a way to change the settings to have
    > the system default to the C drive that won't give me brain sprain.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > George

    Hi,

    hate to say this but......

    your first mistake was installing an operating system on your second drive,
    especially the same one as on your C drive.

    i would recommend you format your 2nd drive and leave it with just a FAT
    partition on it.....

    you can still copy files to it, and download straight to a folder on that
    drive.

    the only time you need to install software onto a 2nd drive is when using a
    dual boot system, i.e windows Xp and say.....windows ME

    hope that helps.

    if you want me to go into it in more details for you please email me on
    jking44@ntlworld.com

    regards
    Josev King

Configuration Hard Drives Windows XP