Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Crossfire overheating/shutting computer down

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 30, 2011 7:15:34 AM

Hey all,

I recently got a new PC with 2 6950's (dirt 3 edition). The motherboard I have is http://www.coolingconfigurator.com/upload/pictures/ASUS...

Now, my idle temp for first card is 40C and 30C for second card but under heavy load (playing witcher 2) the first card shoots up to 85C and then it shuts down the computer. It did it after around ~45mins of gameplay the first time and then ~5mins second time i tried to play it.

I have a total of 2 fans on each card, 1 fan on the back of the case, 1 on top, 1 front bottom and 1 on the side pointed directly at the cards.

I know the issue is with the cards basically touching eachother but i cant do anything about that with this mobo so i need water cooling for atleast the top card since it gets no air flow.

Could someone suggest to me a cheap way to get water cooling for 1 card (as i am noob to it) or suggest another way I can lower the temps?

btw my case is haf x-942

thanks!
August 30, 2011 7:30:28 AM

Edit: first card is now idling at 55C because my crossfire wasn't on.
Score
a c 214 U Graphics card
August 30, 2011 7:58:24 AM

Actually I would guess it's your CPU not the GPU's that is overheating.85c is warm but not hot for these cards.Their max temp is around 100c.

What happen's when a GPU starts to overheat is they will start throttling aka downclocking.It will reduces the clocks and voltage to avoid overheating.The thing is that GPU's can never cause a shutdown of the PC because they will just keep downclocking.

What's shutting down your PC is the CPU overheating.The throttling technique with GPU's is the same for CPU's but once they reach a critical level and just can't keep cool enough it will shutdown to avoid overheating.

Download HWMonitor and post some screenshots of your CPU temps.

What are your full system specs?(CPU,RAM,etc.)
Score
Related resources
August 30, 2011 8:50:54 AM

Oh okay well i never thought of that haha.

This is a picture of my system idling and I ran witcher 2 for around 5mins and the temperatures didnt go up very much, i will post a screenshot of it under more heavy load later as I can't afford my comp to crash atm as i need to use it :p 

Specs:
i7-2600k CPU
12GB Kingston DDR3 RAM
Asus Maximus Gene-Z Motherboard
2 x Radeon HD 6950 in Crossfire
64GB SSD primarily for Windows 7
Cooler Master HAF X 942 Case

Score
August 30, 2011 4:15:58 PM

alright well i took a look inside my case and i saw that i had 2 8 pin connectors connected to the bottom graphics card and 2 6 pin to the other, i changed the 8-pin to 6-pin and that seems to have worked for now.

i played witcher 2 for around 30mins and my CPU temp stayed around 50C whilst top card was at 79C max and lower card was around 65C max.

also the temp went down around ~10C once i changed the cables around, will do more testing tomorrow
Score
a c 214 U Graphics card
August 30, 2011 4:32:46 PM

O wow.How can you even use an 8-pin?It only accepts 6-pins.

Your temps seem fine.My fault then.I guess it wasn't CPU related.I just haven't heard of GPU's crashing the entire PC before.Usually if they crash Windows can recover from it in time.
Score
August 30, 2011 4:37:19 PM

Because it was 8-pin to the psu then 6-pin to the gfx card and thats the only cables i had at the time and i figured they would work. they did but not properly i guess haha :p 

Nah thanks for your help :)  it usually is a heating problem but I found it odd with my case and fan set-up for it to be heat-related (besides the cards being too close)
Score
a c 214 U Graphics card
August 30, 2011 5:24:34 PM

It's very normal for the top card to be that hot in a Crossfire.

Your PSU is Modular? Really Shouldn't make a difference if your using a 8pin to 6pin because the GPU can only ask for a certain amount of power.Although the 8 pin can deliever more the GPU can't ask for more.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
August 30, 2011 5:44:28 PM

sassal said:
edit: just go here lol http://i.imgur.com/EkgEb.png

purple stank said:
Your temps seem fine.My fault then.I guess it wasn't CPU related.I just haven't heard of GPU's crashing the entire PC before.Usually if they crash Windows can recover from it in time.

CPU max temp 127c :o  How is that fine?
Score
a c 214 U Graphics card
August 30, 2011 6:06:56 PM

Those are Motherboard temps.The highest reported temp on the CPU was 51c.I do admit even for a motherboard chipset that is really hot.Should probbably change the thermal paste or look for a new heatsink.

Although from the Max Fan Speeds I think this might actually be a buggy motherboard.Should try downloaded the latest BIOS to see if that fixes anything.I know that when I updated my BIOS it changed a few things in the HWMonitor.

What the model of your Asus mobo?
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
August 30, 2011 6:16:53 PM

purple stank said:
Those are Motherboard temps.The highest reported temp on the CPU was 51c.I do admit even for a motherboard chipset that is really hot.Should probbably change the thermal paste or look for a new heatsink.

Although from the Max Fan Speeds I think this might actually be a buggy motherboard.Should try downloaded the latest BIOS to see if that fixes anything.I know that when I updated my BIOS it changed a few things in the HWMonitor.

What the model of your Asus mobo?

With my 2600k and Asus motherboard the AUXTIN reading corresponds with the A.I Suites CPU temp reading, so if the OP's is similar...
Score
a c 214 U Graphics card
August 30, 2011 6:22:29 PM

I guess that's true.Your motherboard probably resembles the OP's most.Still, the CPU Core temps are showing normal temps.My Gigabyte board doesn't display the things the same way.Does your HWMonitor display fan speeds like the OP's?

Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
August 30, 2011 6:27:30 PM

purple stank said:
I guess that's true.Your motherboard probably resembles the OP's most.My Gigabyte board doesn't display the things the same way.Does your HWMonitor display fan speeds like the OP's?

]http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/1618/unlednv.jpg

Yep! And it took some figuring out which one was which and I only have SYSFAN and AUX0 & 1.
Score
a c 214 U Graphics card
August 30, 2011 6:30:30 PM

That's odd.Mine doesn't do that.Perhaps that's a mobo thing or a HWMonitor thing?

OP, maybe you should try using CoreTemp.See if it's saying the same thing.

CoreTemp

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
August 30, 2011 6:41:09 PM

purple stank said:
That's odd.Mine doesn't do that.Perhaps that's a mobo thing or a HWMonitor thing?

OP, maybe you should try using CoreTemp.See if it's saying the same thing.

CoreTemp

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

I think it's the mobos and the way that HWMonitor gets it's data from the sensor chips used.
Score
a c 214 U Graphics card
August 30, 2011 6:44:14 PM

Would using the temp monitor in the BIOS solve any of this?
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
August 30, 2011 6:56:33 PM

purple stank said:
Would using the temp monitor in the BIOS solve any of this?

Not really no, because the Speedstep and Turbo states are dictated by the OS and in BIOS the CPU fan spins at 100%
Score
a c 214 U Graphics card
August 30, 2011 7:00:01 PM

Lol.I have no idea about Speedstep or Turbo states.Still haven't gotten my hands on UEFI BIOS yet.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
August 30, 2011 7:01:27 PM

What!! You don't use a mouse to navigate through your BIOS?
Score
a c 214 U Graphics card
August 30, 2011 7:05:20 PM

Lol.no.

Just waiting on the OP.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
August 30, 2011 7:09:10 PM

purple stank said:
Lol.no.

Just waiting on the OP.

Eww, that's like stone age dude! How do you change stuff if you can't just click on it? :o  :lol:  :ange: 
Score
August 30, 2011 11:13:56 PM

Hey guys thanks for all the replies!

After you pointed out that the max temp was 127 i went and tested it quickly again as i had to leave for uni this morning (i live in aus :p )

Anyway, i loaded up witcher 2 for 10mins and watched the CPUTIN temp readings, on HWMonitor they never went above 60C (both min and average) but sometimes the min would jump suddenly to 127C but then go back to 60C. So im guessing this is an error with the readings?

also, the other readings were doing the same and looking at the max rpm as being 60k, i think HWmonitor is giving very false readings lol

one more thing, i have the back case fan connected to a CHA_FAN socket, aswell as the side case fan and top case fan. i did this because i dont have another molex cable atm. would that be giving the false readings/overheating possibly?
Score
August 31, 2011 12:15:47 AM

Okay well i cant try that for a while as im out for the whole day so yeah.

If the bios update doesnt change anything, what else could be causing the false temperature readings?
Score
a c 214 U Graphics card
August 31, 2011 12:37:33 AM

Either bad sensors or just a miscommunication between the Hardware and the Software.

You should use a high CFM case fan or an external fan and point it directly at the CPU and Voltage regulators and see if the temp change's at all.That's one way to see if it's a bad sensor or not.
Score
August 31, 2011 12:53:29 AM

Okay well ill try that when i get home also.

I remembered just now i checked the CPU temperature in the BIOS and it was at like 30C so idno wats going on there :\

Also, the max is only reading 127C because the readings are glitching and jumping from 60C to 127C then back to 60C because im pretty sure my CPU would melt at 127C...

Im using the stock intel-2600k cooler fan btw
Score
a c 214 U Graphics card
August 31, 2011 12:57:09 AM

Yah you are right.I don't know of any CPU that can withstand that temp without being damaged,to the point of it not even working anymore.

I'm betting a BIOS update will probably fix this but keep the other options in mind also.
Score
August 31, 2011 12:59:00 AM

Yeah thats why i was thinking theres no way my CPU is overheating, ill run more demanding games later or run a benchmark to see if the cpu temp actually reads passed 60C.

Yeah thats the first thing ill try once I get home, sucks being away from my comp :( 
Score
a c 214 U Graphics card
August 31, 2011 1:22:26 AM

You know how to update the BIOS right?
It's pretty simple I just wanted to make sure you know how so you don't cause any damage.

Btw what CPU cooler are you using?
Score
August 31, 2011 1:52:52 AM

ive never done it and the instructions on that site arent very detailed :\

the stock cooler that came with the intel i7-2600k
Score
August 31, 2011 3:45:09 AM

ive done a bit more research on this issue and apparently it could either be a false sensor reading which could indicate a faulty motherboard or it could be the cpu cooler not being seated correctly and actually heating up to thermal shut-down point.

i will check my cpu cooler when i get home
Score
August 31, 2011 7:35:19 AM

okay so i went to my local pc store, picked up some thermal paste and then re-applied it to my cpu chip in an effort to eliminate that if that is the cause. now i know the thermal paste takes a while to settle in properly so these are my temps atm. ull notice that the temperature readings are the same for core 0,1,2,3 on cpuid hardware as well as core temp 1.0 and i used to asus utility to get the cpu and motherboard temps and they are also in correspondence with CPUID hardware monitor.

http://imgur.com/MkTmU

edit: my motherboards BIOS is the latest version

edit 2: is my cpufan meant to be at 1180RPM idle?
Score
August 31, 2011 8:51:41 AM

update! :) 

the termal paste seems to have worked, the cpu is now sitting at a cool 45C during witcher 2 according to the asus program.

i also disabled qfan control in BIOS and that sped up the fan to 2000RPM on idle :) 

ill post back if other errors accor, thanks for all ur help
Score
a c 214 U Graphics card
August 31, 2011 7:18:17 PM

Looks like the heatsink might have been messing around with the CPUTIN sensor.Since you moved it the temp's changed.
Score
!