Quick Launch Toolbar

August 5, 2004 1:38:51 PM

Some weird spyware programs accidentally got installed on
my computer. I think I have gotten rid of all of them but
I am still having a slight problem. Whenever my computer
restarts, my Quick Launch toolbar disappears. I have to
right click the taskbar and restart the toolbar everytime.
Not a major problem, just an annoyance. Does anyone know
what is causing this and/or how to fix it.

Thanks,
Nancy

More about : quick launch toolbar

Anonymous
August 5, 2004 1:53:40 PM

Never mind. I realized I should search the newsgroup and
found I was not alone with the problem. I will take it
from here.

Nancy

Anonymous
August 6, 2004 9:19:19 PM

Hi Nancy,

It's caused by a malware named BlazeFind.

1. Open Registry Editor (Regedit.exe) and navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

2. Backup the selected branch by exporting it to a REG file

3. In the right-pane, change the value of Userinit to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,"

Type the above value exactly as given, including the comma - exclude the quotes. Also, change the path to userinit.exe approriately, if Windows is installed in a different drive.

4. Close Registry Editor and restart Windows.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

Windows 2000 Group Policy Registry Table:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en...

"Nancy T." <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0c6601c47b0a$b0a46630$a401280a@phx.gbl...
Some weird spyware programs accidentally got installed on
my computer. I think I have gotten rid of all of them but
I am still having a slight problem. Whenever my computer
restarts, my Quick Launch toolbar disappears. I have to
right click the taskbar and restart the toolbar everytime.
Not a major problem, just an annoyance. Does anyone know
what is causing this and/or how to fix it.

Thanks,
Nancy
August 10, 2004 12:43:34 PM

Ramesh, I did what you described in the above message, now when I
start windows by clicking on the Username, it goes into the windows
screen, no icons show, it says saving user settings, and then it goes
back to the screen that shows all of the other users to logon. I
can't get into windows at all. Help!
Thanks!

"Ramesh [MVP]" <ramesh@nojunkmails.com@mvps.org> wrote in message news:<e5LlZr6eEHA.3944@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>...
> Hi Nancy,
>
> It's caused by a malware named BlazeFind.
>
> 1. Open Registry Editor (Regedit.exe) and navigate to:
> HKEY LOCAL MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
>
> 2. Backup the selected branch by exporting it to a REG file
>
> 3. In the right-pane, change the value of Userinit to
> "C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,"
>
> Type the above value exactly as given, including the comma - exclude
> the quotes. Also, change the path to userinit.exe approriately, if
> Windows is installed in a different drive.
>
> 4. Close Registry Editor and restart Windows.
>

> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
>
> Windows 2000 Group Policy Registry Table:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en...
>
> "Nancy T." <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Some weird spyware programs accidentally got installed on
> my computer. I think I have gotten rid of all of them but
> I am still having a slight problem. Whenever my computer
> restarts, my Quick Launch toolbar disappears. I have to
> right click the taskbar and restart the toolbar everytime.
> Not a major problem, just an annoyance. Does anyone know
> what is causing this and/or how to fix it.
>
> Thanks,
> Nancy
Anonymous
August 11, 2004 2:45:46 PM

Durango,

It means that you've typed an incorrect value there. See my note which says:
" Type the above value exactly as given, including the comma - exclude the quotes. Also, change the path to userinit.exe approriately, if Windows is installed in a different drive "

The only option to revert the correct setting is to slave the drive to another system -or- from a parallel installation of Windows, using the Load Hive method. See below:

From a parallel installation of Windows, try the following:

Select the HKEY Users branch
On the Registry menu, click Load Hive.
Locate the "Software" file for the *subject* Windows directory and then double-click it.
(say, c:\windows\system32\config\software)
In the Key Name box, type a name, and then press ENTER.
Alter the Userinit value here:

HKEY USERS\<name you typed>\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
Set Userinit to C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,

Unload the Software Hive (important).

--

!