Stuck on Motherboard Screen; working through the list

escapisturge

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
Hello,

I have a 2 year old system I build myself with the following specs (sorry it's not more detailed, but I'm away from home at the moment).

AMD Phenom quad-core 3.2 ghz
MSI motherboard
Samsung Spinpoint hard drive, 1 tb
G Skill RAM 1033 2x2 GB, 2x4 GB (latter are new)
Antec case
ATI Radeon 4780 graphics card
Windows 7, 64 bit

I had a similar problem several weeks back, but after reseating my RAM, Windows booted normally, and I assumed that was the end of it.

However, I tried to install additional RAM last night, and when I turned the machine on again, I was once again stuck at the motherboard screen. Reseating didn't help, nor did removing the new RAM and trying with just the old.

After finding the lists here, I tried each stick of RAM individually in various slots, with the same result each time. I tried with no RAM and it gave me the corresponding series of beeps from the case speaker, with no splash screen.

I removed the hard drive, dvd drive, and graphics card only to get the same results. Each time I started, I would still get the single beep from the case speaker before the splash screen. (I used the onboard graphics after removing the graphics card.

I then tried shorting the 2 & 3 pins to reset the BIOS. After doing this, I no longer got the motherboard screen...simply a black screen. However, everything else is the same, and the monitor is still receiving a signal from the computer.

Next I tried removing the motherboard battery for a while, then restarting. This gave me the same result.

Given the nature of these problems and the fact that the machine has been working for 2 years, I'm fairly certain that the PSU and the case are not the problem. It seems like the only valid explanation is that my motherboard has somehow gone bad.

I'm hoping that someone could confirm this for me, or tell me a way to check for certain that my motherboard is faulty before I go and order another one (and deal with the hassle of installing it).

One final thing worth noting is that my system has frequently been running chkdsk upon rebooting, finding small amounts of corrupted files each time. I was initially worried that my hard drive was failing, but it hasn't ever really gotten worse, and I wonder if it may be part of this other problem.

Thanks very much for any assistance.

A failing board SATA controller will sometimes generate HDD errors. I would certainly check the drive on another machine though.

Taking the drive out and still no BIOS screen? Given everything else you have done it sounds like a bad board. No way to check without replacing it.

escapisturge

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I was able to put the hdd into an external enclosure and access my data from a laptop. There were some errors, but they were on a storage partition, not the partition windows is installed on. It sounds like I'm going to have to bite the bullet and order a new motherboard.

escapisturge

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
OK, so I decided to give it one final try with the system stripped down, and lo and behold, I got into BIOS. Output from the PSU was where it needed to be, so I started adding components piece-by-piece. I did have to boot from the Windows 7 install disk due to errors on the HDD, but it was able to repair everything so that Windows loaded. I have still been having CHKDSK run periodically as I boot up, finding a minimal amount of bad sectors each time.

So something is clearly still wrong. Hopefully it's just the HDD and not the mobo. The HDD is still under warranty and I can RMA it if that's the problem.