Gigabyte F2A85XM-D3H/Windows 7 Ultimate reading RAM as 12GB/8GB. Help?

ridie1389

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
Hello all, I have recently upgraded from my BIOSTAR TA75A+ and AMD A6-3650 APU to a Gigabyte F2A85XM-D3H and a AMD A10-5800k APU, after my BIOSTAR motherboard died on me. I had to reinstall Windows 7 to get it to boot with the new hardware, and upon getting everything back up and running the way I like, I came across a peculiar phenomenon (for lack of more eloquent phrasing.), under the computer information section in Control Panel it states that I only have 8GB of RAM install and 5.95GB usable. I have 12GB installed, and I understand about reposting and it's annoyances, but my predicament is different from what I have seen. For AMD Overdrive, Speccy, and my BIOS all state that I indeed have 12GB installed.

My RAM Modules are:

4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 1600 DDR3
Model: F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

2x 4GB PNY Optima 1333 DDR3
Model: MD8192KD3-1333

Motherboard: Gigabyte F2A85XM-D3H

CPU: AMD A10-5800k @ 3.8Ghz (Default)

Thank you in advance

Xttony

Distinguished
The most probable answer here will be that the two different pieces of ram cannot work together, because they have different voltages.
Try booting with only the PNY sticks installed and the G Skill card removed if the system shows all are installed and usable then it may be due to the incorrect voltage problem.

Xttony

Distinguished

I'm not saying that you cannot get them all to work at the same time but your system may suffer from random crashes (or in your case the problem that you mentioned). You can always try to put the cards in different slots to make them work.

I had a similar problem I had 3sets of 2x1gB cards and wanted all of the six to work together as I bought the 3 sets individually all the cards had different version and voltages because that will enable triple channel but no matter how I put in the cards my system always crashed sooner or later. Lastly I had to buy different memory all at the same time and made sure that all have same specs.

Also try to put the PNY in one coloured slot and the G skill in the other.

ridie1389

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
Sorry for the late reply, but I'm thinking I am having a different problem. My system has not crashed at all whatsoever and every hardware detection program has detected 12GB but the Windows 7 System Information only says 8GB. Could there be something wrong with my Windows installation? and I tried all the slots with different combinations and everytime it would show 8GB, but I do know that all slots and sticks are fully functional