3rd Time Builder: ~$1,500 Gaming PC -i7's - Need Reviews

roguetech

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
Hey Everyone,

Been a long time since I've visited these forums (on another account). Big fan of the site and appreciate all the help!

Details below, but basically looking for a solid PC capable of high end gaming, reliability (for work purposes), and will last me a good few years.

I work in the IT industry and receive exceptional discounts from Intel so I prefer them in most scenarios.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Approximate Purchase Date: Prior to 2012

Budget Range: Flexible but approximately $1,500

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Watching Movies (TV Tuner?) & Home Theatre, General Usage

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor, Speakers, CD/DVD Drive, OS (Using W7)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: None.

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: by brand or type: Prefer Intel as I receive discounts on all their products.

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe. Unsure the route to go.

Monitor Resolution: Currently running dual 22" at 1680 x 1050, will most likely purchase a 27" down the road. Potentially the ability to run triple monitors would be nice but not absolutely critical.

Additional Comments: Intel preferred. USB 3.0.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Ideas For Parts:

Case: SilverStone Raven RV03 Low Fans / Cooler Master HAF X

Power Supply: 700 Watt or Higher - Corsair, OCZ, or Antec

Cooling: Most likely Air and/or Corsair Hydro Series

RAM: 8GB Minimum

Motherboard: Have been looking at: Intel DZ68BC Link / Intel DP67BG Link

Processor: i7 2600k / i7 990x

SSD: Intel 320 160Gb/ Intel 510 120Gb

HD: 2 Drives in RAID1 Configuration as a backup

Graphics Card: Crossfire/SLI? GeForce GTX 590?

Feel free to add, modify, or recommend other manufacturers/parts if you think it would help. Thanks again!

Daioh

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
Cooler Master HAF X is fantastic. plenty of room and seriously always stays cool.

for a psu i recommend this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139010 corsair is definitely the most reliable in my opinion this one is fully modular and has a 7 year warranty so how could you go wrong right?

I would recommend http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099 for your cpu cooler

for ram i would say this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233186

the i7 2600k is a great processor and i really dont know how you plan to have a budget around 1500 if you buy the i7 990x considering thats $1000 (unless you have some amazing 70% discount i don't know about.

as far as graphics cards go if you were to sli two gtx 590s that would put you at about $1500. also im pretty sure if you were to sli these and be running a 990x, you would need a far superior power supply

so with what you have here it seems like your aiming a little high. maybe just go with a single GTX 580 or 590? and you should probably just go with i7 2600k.

Im just curious. How much of a Intel discount do you have?

roguetech

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
Thanks for the reply Daioh. As of recently I might be waiting until Intel's Ivy Chips come out in Q1 of next year. An Intel rep I spoke with recommended the wait. As for my discount..roughly 50% ;). Thanks again all.

Closing the thread until new chips come out!

TRENDING THREADS