XP shutdown

Hi group,

Hoping someone out there is really smart and can help me solve a problem.

I run a dual monitor system and the shutdown dialog box is always in the
middle of my monitors making it hard for me to access the relevant
buttons......

first question here is......is there any way to move this window to one side
?

second question.....

when you hit start......you get main menu up....you have log off and
shutdown buttons there.....and also some rather useful room there too.....

now.....is it possible to add more buttons there....i.e restart, and
standby ?

what would be nice is....to do away with the shutdown window...and have
these buttons do the actual work.

this I feel would be the ultimate customisation of windows.

what say you computer geniuses out there ?

thanks

Josev King

ps.....please......reply privately if you can to

jking44@ntlworld.com
3 answers Last reply
More about shutdown

    Hi,

    I dont think that you can move the shutdown dialog box permanently, but what you can do easily is
    make shortcuts for shutdown, restart etc and place them on your desktop. The command lines are:

    For shutdown:
    shutdown.exe -s -t 00

    For restart:
    shutdown.exe -r -t 00

    It is definitely not possible to add any more buttons next to the existing 'Log off' and 'Shutdown'
    buttons on the start menu.

    --

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Josev" <jking44@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:u$olsHxeEHA.2440@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > Hi group,
    >
    > Hoping someone out there is really smart and can help me solve a problem.
    >
    > I run a dual monitor system and the shutdown dialog box is always in the
    > middle of my monitors making it hard for me to access the relevant
    > buttons......
    >
    > first question here is......is there any way to move this window to one side
    > ?
    >
    > second question.....
    >
    > when you hit start......you get main menu up....you have log off and
    > shutdown buttons there.....and also some rather useful room there too.....
    >
    > now.....is it possible to add more buttons there....i.e restart, and
    > standby ?
    >
    > what would be nice is....to do away with the shutdown window...and have
    > these buttons do the actual work.
    >
    > this I feel would be the ultimate customisation of windows.
    >
    > what say you computer geniuses out there ?
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > Josev King
    >
    > ps.....please......reply privately if you can to
    >
    > jking44@ntlworld.com

    Look at you video driver. Many of the dual monitor systems I've worked with
    have an option to place system dialogs on one or the other monitor.

    --

    Rob
    BTW: Was that the Democratic or Republican convention we just watched?

    "Josev" <jking44@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > Hi group,
    >
    > Hoping someone out there is really smart and can help me solve a problem.
    >
    > I run a dual monitor system and the shutdown dialog box is always in the
    > middle of my monitors making it hard for me to access the relevant
    > buttons......
    >
    > first question here is......is there any way to move this window to one
    side
    > ?
    >
    > second question.....
    >
    > when you hit start......you get main menu up....you have log off and
    > shutdown buttons there.....and also some rather useful room there too.....
    >
    > now.....is it possible to add more buttons there....i.e restart, and
    > standby ?
    >
    > what would be nice is....to do away with the shutdown window...and have
    > these buttons do the actual work.
    >
    > this I feel would be the ultimate customisation of windows.
    >
    > what say you computer geniuses out there ?
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > Josev King
    >
    > ps.....please......reply privately if you can to
    >
    > jking44@ntlworld.com

    Josev,

    The shortcuts that Anando described can also be added to the [Start]-menu.
    I have my [Start]-menu set to display in "Classic" view, which makes it easy to place shortcuts in its first level.
    ---

    Jan

    | I run a dual monitor system and the shutdown dialog box is always in the
    | middle of my monitors making it hard for me to access the relevant
    | buttons.
    |
    | is there any way to move this window to one side ?
    |
    | when you hit start. you get main menu up. you have log off and
    | shutdown buttons there. and also some rather useful room there too.
    |
    | is it possible to add more buttons there. i.e restart, and standby ?
    |
    | what would be nice is. to do away with the shutdown window...and have
    | these buttons do the actual work.

Configuration Shutdown Customization Windows XP