UFraw - *.NEF file conversion

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
April 17, 2005 6:51:24 PM

I had posted previously about how hopelessly slow the "Picture Project"
software bundled with the D70 is - and how I haven't tried my Nikon
Capture trial until I get a printer - so I can see what I am doing
before deciding if it's worth the $ (to me).

My first attempt using a DCraw plugin for the Gimp in Linux and Windows
was was hopeless.

However, there is a Windows port of a program called "UFraw" available
for download from http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/index.html . It appears
to work _far_ better than Picture Project for altering colour balance
(has Nikon preset settings as well as deg K slider), and the ability to
take a variable sized "spot" reading from the image to set white balance
from automatically. Exposure, colour management and curve correction is
much better, and correction profiles can be saved. Output is Tiff (8 or
16 bit) or jpeg. By default, it appears that UFraw is set up to handle
Nikon raw images, but curves for other cameras can be added.

It won't do automated conversions. It will also not preserve exif data
on output files. I cannot see any option to scale or zoom in on the
image in the interface - which is about 20% scale for a 6mp image. I
can make no comparison as to how well it handles colour/exposure
correction compared to Nikon Capture - 'cause I haven't tried it.

You can open a "collection" of *.nef files in Picture Project, and add
DCraw to the "Edit Using other Programs" menu or context menu, then use
UFraw to adjust colour balance, and save as tiff.

I am a little hazy on the details of installation. The above download
site says that you need to have Gimp installed - but I'm not sure if in
fact you need just GTK - as UFraw works as a stand alone application -
not just as a Gimp plugin.
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 6:51:25 PM

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 14:51:24 +1200, in rec.photo.digital Frederick
<nomailplease@nomail.com> wrote:

>I had posted previously about how hopelessly slow the "Picture Project"
>software bundled with the D70 is - and how I haven't tried my Nikon
>Capture trial until I get a printer - so I can see what I am doing
>before deciding if it's worth the $ (to me).
>
>My first attempt using a DCraw plugin for the Gimp in Linux and Windows
>was was hopeless.
>
>However, there is a Windows port of a program called "UFraw" available
>for download from http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/index.html . It appears
>to work _far_ better than Picture Project for altering colour balance
>(has Nikon preset settings as well as deg K slider), and the ability to
>take a variable sized "spot" reading from the image to set white balance
>from automatically. Exposure, colour management and curve correction is
>much better, and correction profiles can be saved. Output is Tiff (8 or
>16 bit) or jpeg. By default, it appears that UFraw is set up to handle
>Nikon raw images, but curves for other cameras can be added.
>
>It won't do automated conversions. It will also not preserve exif data
>on output files. I cannot see any option to scale or zoom in on the
>image in the interface - which is about 20% scale for a 6mp image. I
>can make no comparison as to how well it handles colour/exposure
>correction compared to Nikon Capture - 'cause I haven't tried it.
>
>You can open a "collection" of *.nef files in Picture Project, and add
>DCraw to the "Edit Using other Programs" menu or context menu, then use
>UFraw to adjust colour balance, and save as tiff.
>
>I am a little hazy on the details of installation. The above download
>site says that you need to have Gimp installed - but I'm not sure if in
>fact you need just GTK - as UFraw works as a stand alone application -
>not just as a Gimp plugin.

Just for it's bonehead interface PP lasted less than 5 min on any of my
machines. NikonView is free off the tech support site and was the
previously shipped app. Not any faster, nor is NC for that matter.

Try the free unlimited demo version of Pixmantec's RawShooter Essentials.
You will have to give a valid email, to have the dl link mailed to you.
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at