Diskboot Failure

peiggs

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
Hey,
I sold my friend a computer a few days ago. He just bought a new harddrive for it. When he puts the windows DVD in and boots, it says: Diskboot failure insert system disk and press enter". I have never had this problem with the computer before. He changed the boot order to the DVD Drive first. He reseated all of the cables. What could the issue be?

He probably changed the boot order table, putting the DVD drive first, deleting the entry for the hard disk. Look in the boot order table and set the hard disk as the second device.
If you can't sort this out then a clear CMOS will put it right so that you can boot from the hard disk. Always clear the CMOS with the clear CMOS link on the motherboard with the power cord DISCONNECTED Also don't forget to setup the correct frequency of the CPU if you do this

Do you have one or two optical drives? Is he using the right one? As said above, boot order.

What version of windows? Winxp can't install on SATA drives until SP3.

Does the BIOS detect the hard drive? That's easy to check.

Does the BIOS have a hard disk diagnostic? If so use it. If not then download the USB flash drive bootable diagnostic from COSAIR and try that. (I used it many times before giving up on my force 120 ssd).