ASRock H77M: Takes an exceedingly long time to boot

altom85

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2012
I put together this rig a couple days ago. I don't have an SSD so I wasn't expecting lightning fast speeds or anything, but it takes over a minute to boot into Windows and makes me think there is some kind of underlying issue. Everything seems ok when I get into Windows, but it's still very irritating. The POST screen hangs for about 30-40 seconds, then it goes to a black screen for another 30 seconds, then finally Windows starts to load.

Here are my specs if needed:

MOBO: ASRock H77M
CPU: Intel Core i3-2100
GPU: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition OC 1GB
HDD: Western Digital WD Blue 500GB
RAM: Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600
PSU: CORSAIR AX750 750W

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

garryash

Distinguished
May 16, 2012
Hi. I have same board and there is a setting in asrocks startup sequence that lets you alter the display times of asrock bibs abd bobs prior to windows starting - this MAY be your problem, but not a guarantee.

altom85

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2012

Where can I find this setting? I've combed through the settings in the bios and found nothing.

DarkSable: I turned off the GUI Boot in msconfig and in the bios screen. Still doesn't help. I noticed something that may or may not be very helpful. SO with the GUI off the only thing on the screen is the copyright and bios version in the corner and it stays like that for the same amount of time as before (30-35 sec) then very quickly (for about 2 seconds if that) it lists my CPU, RAM, and "For bios press F2" etc before continuing on to the black screen I'd mentioned earlier for another 30 seconds then loads Windows.

garryash

Distinguished
May 16, 2012
Had another look at boot sequence and cant find it either - think it must have been when first building PC and doing initial set up. I also had something pop up when loading win 7 for first time and it asked about start up things being displayed. My desktop takes about 90 seconds to open fully from switch on. Thats with H77M/i5-3570K/WD 1Tb Blue/8Gb 1600 RAM /700watt PSU -so you should be able to get about same

johnsonjohnson

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
Hi. I have the same motherboard and CPU running Windows 7 and it didn't hang at POST screen at all. I think the issue you're experiencing is due to the motherboard bios. My motherboard shipped with version 1.20 but I've heard that the latest version (1.30) isn't Windows 7 friendly. Downgrading to version 1.20 might fix your problem. I suggest you read the reviews on Newegg particularly one dated on December 3rd. Good luck.

altom85

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2012

I actually have version 1.20 :( I was actually going to upgrade the BIOS because I thought maybe that is the problem but I couldn't even find any updates on the ASRock site.

johnsonjohnson

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
Sorry to hear my advice didn't help. I was hoping it would've been an easy fix to your problem. Here's the bios download page if you're thinking of updating it: (http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H77M/?cat=Download&os=BIOS) Since you said Windows eventually loads and everything else seems okay like no instability involving faulty or incompatible RAM stick(s) or bent pin(s) in the socket, I can't think of anything else that can cause the problem (other than a faulty motherboard.) For comparison, Windows starts loading 10 seconds after I press the power button which is in line with the boot times of other ASRock motherboards in reviews I've read on Anandtech. I'm running with G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 and an old Hitachi 160GB 7200 RPM.

TRENDING THREADS