Advice: Upgrade or Build New?

Hi guys,
I want to upgrade my graphics card to atleast a 560 (willing to go to 570 if recommended). I also want a new case.
My first question is will my current system handle the new graphics card or should I build a new system (I would be building it myself and it would be my first)
If it is generally recommended that I start new, I'll have a think about it and post another thread.

Current system:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo E8600 @ 3.33GHz
Motherboard: ASUS Intel P5Q PRO LGA775 P45 chipset
RAM: Transcend DDR2 800 Kit 4GB (2x2GB)
PSU: supplied with generic case (Shaw BACH-720) 750W (not sure if it actually is 750 though)
GPU: ASUS nVidia EN 9600GT PCI-E 512MB DDR3

This system was built cheap by a family friend. I'm happy with my current harddrives, disk drives etc.

Parts I am looking at:

Antec Three Hundred case

Asus nVidia GTX560 Ti 1GB

Preferred websites: most likely to buy lacally in store (not online), for pricing/availability:

Approx purchase date: within one month

Hopefully this is enough info for you to help out.
Thanks in advance
3 answers Last reply
More about advice upgrade build
  1. I would not recommend getting anything higher than a GTX 560 or HD 6870. You have a dual core CPU (one that is decent, however). Cards that are in the higher end segment will cause a bottleneck. What is the purpose? Is it gaming? If so, it's important to know your resolution as well.
  2. Sorry, primary use will be gaming (BF3 atm), also use AutoCAD, and structural analysis software but these dont require anything more than what I already have. Gaming is the main reason for the upgrade. I do have dual monitors, one is 1920x1080, the other is 1680x1050. I only use the 1080p monitor when gaming or watching movies.
    Do you think the graphics card upgrade is worthwhile, or should i start new?
  3. At 1080p, games rely on the GPU greatly. However, CPU is also important. I would just get a new GPU and save up for a new CPU. BF3 is able to use cores effectively. A new CPU will really help you.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Graphics Cards Build Systems