Sign in with
Your question

ATI 5770 CrossfireX - Greyed Out in CCC

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 30, 2011 2:20:23 PM

Hello,

I have recently acquired a second 5770 from sapphire so that I could use the crossfire feature, however am having an issue configuring it.

I have an XFX 5770 and a Sapphire 5770. Both are around a year old but are both perfectly functional.

They are both displayed as enabled in the device manager with the latest ATI display driver installed.

I've done some research and according to this forum post, it could be a faulty bios issue, but I'm not sure.

I can provide screenshots and dumps.

Thanks
August 30, 2011 2:41:08 PM

What motherboard (make/model) do you have?

-Wolf sends
August 30, 2011 3:07:02 PM

JoBrittain said:
Hello,

I have recently acquired a second 5770 from sapphire so that I could use the crossfire feature, however am having an issue configuring it.

I have an XFX 5770 and a Sapphire 5770. Both are around a year old but are both perfectly functional.

They are both displayed as enabled in the device manager with the latest ATI display driver installed.

I've done some research and according to this forum post, it could be a faulty bios issue, but I'm not sure.

I can provide screenshots and dumps.

Thanks

Did you attach the crossfire ribbon physically? You don't just have 2 free floating cards in your PC, you need to connect them.

notice the ribbons http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS8Lq-r8dKh43K6...
Related resources
August 30, 2011 3:08:20 PM

Yes - because of licensing requirements from AMD and NVidia, a motherboard manufacturer pays for the privelage to run CrossFire or SLI per motherboard/chipset.

It may be as easy as updating your BIOS if they paid for the license after the fact, or it may never work.

But this discussion starts with motherboard model as Wolfshadow said..
August 30, 2011 5:37:14 PM

Sorry for missing out some details.
Yes I have connected the ribbon.

I also managed to solve the crossfire problem by swapping the cards around. I am now able to crossfire, however I have come across a new problem.

Now whenever I run the any full screen game or application that utilizes CrossfireX I get screen tearing and flickering however I still get the benefit and better performance (did crysis benchmark testing).

Help :/ 

August 30, 2011 5:37:39 PM

(yes I did enable vsync and disable catalyst ai)
August 30, 2011 5:45:46 PM

JoBrittain said:
(yes I did enable vsync and disable catalyst ai)

force vsync and triple buffering in CCC?
August 30, 2011 6:14:53 PM

Are you sure both cards work perfectly? I could see one of them having an issue and causing the tearing.

Another option might be throttling issues due to either heat or power. Check your temps and make sure you have enough power to run both cards.
August 30, 2011 6:17:28 PM

sorry for triple post :/  (using Android) and my mobo is the ASUS P755D
August 30, 2011 6:18:22 PM

JoBrittain said:
sorry for triple post :/  (using Android) and my mobo is the ASUS P755D

I had this issue before, with vsync on. It was actually fixed with vsync off lol. Just last week with 2x 6950s pushing out a game like league of legends.
August 30, 2011 6:30:02 PM

Both cards run under 70degrees (case being open) on full use and both cards are tested and functional.

The two things that I think it could be are either the crossfire bridge or the power. On the second card, for power I am using an adapter from SATA to two molex and from those two molex to a 6 pin (bad I know). The power supply is 700watt arctic power from ebuyer.
September 4, 2011 10:10:08 AM

I have that EXACT same set up (5770 XFX/Sapphire).
THe XFX card updated driver automatically, but the sapphire ones I had to manual find and instal.
Works in crossfire no matter what order they are in, but I have the sapphire one 1st because of its slightly better specs
!