Sign in with
Your question

Custom Build - Trying to isolate hardware problem.

Last response: in Systems
October 28, 2011 2:47:09 AM

I have been struggling with issues with this PC for weeks on end now and I've decided to turn to you guys. None of my IT friends can figure out what is going on with my computer. Here are my components:

AMD Phenom II Quad Core 3.4Ghz 965 Black Edition Processor (Not overclocked)
Asus M4A79XTD EVO Motherboard AM3 Chipset
Two XFX Radeon 6700 GPUs (1gb DDR5 each)
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Thermaltake TR2 RX 850W Power Supply
Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black 7200RPM HDD
HP 24x DVD Re-writer
Rocketfish RF-UPCUWR Universal CPU Cooler
Soprano VG7000BWS Mid-size case
Windows 7 Home Premium OEM
Built in Feb 2011

The problems first started several weeks ago. I have had several freeze ups, random shut downs (black screen looping back to ASUS splash screen) and blue screens with at least 5 different errors. I cannot remember all the errors off the top of my head but one that sticks in my mind is MEMORY_MANAGEMENT.

The shutdowns/freeze ups are sporadic and random. Sometimes I go several days without a problem and other times my computer will reboot several times in one day. I have been troubleshooting from day one, trying to find out if I have a faulty driver. At one point I did format my HDD and start from scratch, but the problems persisted.

Now I am starting to have issues purely with booting. Sometimes my computer will boot fine and I will be able to use it as normal, but then it will shutdown and I will have a hell of a time trying to get it back to Windows. Sometimes I'll get past the splash screen and it will freeze up or go to the 'American Megatrends' Screen and ask me if I want to boot with current BIOS settings.

Most recently I've been running into this weird problem where the fans just keep 'cycling'. The RPMs rise and fall the splash screen never comes up. I posted a video of it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laDoggXaZeM

I began troubleshooting my hardware awhile back. Here is the interesting bit: First I thought it was my GPU (previously the Radeon 5770) so I did a warranty exchange for a 6770 (I also bought a second for crossfiring down the road). Then I tried swapping out the mobos. I now have a slightly lower end ASUS M4N68T-M V2 in my build. When that didn't fix it I ran out and bought a new, identical power supply and the problem persisted. I've run full, multiple tests on individual RAM sticks with MEMTEST, ran an overnight test on my HDD using the WD diagnostic tools and it came out clean.

Now the interesting part of this is that the fan problem that you see in my video, where it keeps cycling, has happened in varying combinations of my hardware. In the video I have my original mobo and the radeon 5770. But the problem has persisted even after trying a new GPU (tried both my 6770s) swapping out for a different board, and even trying that identical PSU.

So, as you can see, I'm at a complete loss. I know this is a lot of info, but I figured I would give it to you guys all at once than having to go bath and forth. If anyone can figure this out, you guys can.

Thanks,
Brandon
October 28, 2011 3:06:17 AM

Man, you have one sh*tty situation on your hands. I'll go ahead and throw that out there. I had an issue once where I kept getting random bluescreens, about 7 or 8 different random messages in total, and the most common one I would get would be the MEMORY_MANAGEMENT error. My problem turned out to be because I had my RAM set in ganged mode instead of unganged. I'd be surprised if that was your situation also, but you can check in BIOS just to make sure.

Have you tried just updating to the latest BIOS by any chance? And the only other thing I can think of is to check the specs of your RAM and make sure your RAM is running at it's specificed voltage. Some boards or RAM modules don't default to what they should.
m
l
October 28, 2011 3:26:23 AM

Hello...
1) have you tried running 1 stick of memory for boot tests?

2) Re-load Bios? latest up date? or try an older version...

3) Could be just one cable to one of your devices... Loose/open connection- Power or Communications - same cables different Motherboard and Power Supply is key here to consider... Also Bios might have seen a change, thus the "boot with current settings" question.

4) Do you have a setting in the Bios to interrupt or shut down on Fan failure?... and might explain cycling of the fan... The Tach Feed Back wire/or input is intermintent on one of your FANS !!!! CPU or CASE FANS... Same Part in all your Builds... check your Fans and motherboard connectors for all your fans... connect a different CPU/Case Fan? Set fans to one speed and not AUTO SPEED CONTROL in Bios?

5) Have you tried reducing memory timings/speed? or increasing the voltage to them?

6) Reducing CPU speed? or increasing Voltage to it?

7) I had a problem with DVD player that was my cause of sudden and intermittent shut downs and errors... Remove Parts not Totally necessary for Computer operations? Agian same parts different Build?

I feel for ya... intermittant problems are the hardest to track... but you have been very good in your thought process... But your not done yet... Hope I gave ya some good ideas...
m
l
!