Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Graphics Card and LED TV

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 30, 2011 2:49:54 PM

I just purchased a Samsung 6420 40 inch TV. I have it connected to my computer and mainly use it to surfing the web and watching TV. My computer currently has a GeForce 9500 GS. When surfing the web I can't say all pictures look great. I do have it set to 1920x1080 and am using an HDMI cable. Would getting a better graphics card produce a better picture or is it just the fact that I'm using a TV instead of a monitor the cause of not ideal picture quality? If a better graphics card is in order please suggest what I should get. I did see the Radeon HD 6870 on sale but for all I know that could be over kill.

Cheers,

Dan

More about : graphics card led

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
August 30, 2011 4:26:17 PM

At 1920x1080, you have the same number of pixels on a 24 inch monitor as you have on a 40 inch TV, they are just bigger pixels and therefore don't look as sharp on the big screen as the little one, unless you are seated farther away.
August 30, 2011 5:16:14 PM

what clarkjd said is correct... in addition to that though, a 9500 will be "just enough" to drive a HD screen for pictures and movies,, you will want something with a bit more oomph to have all the screen enhancements and video acceleration enabled for HD video,, but pictures to pictures,, you will not have a difference, all you can do is adjust the video settings in the nvidia control panel. in my experience the smaller PC displays show off pictures better than tvs because of the smaller pixels
m
l
Related resources
August 30, 2011 7:10:16 PM

Best answer selected by dbtrader.
m
l
August 30, 2011 7:12:41 PM

It really only seems to be certain pics. For example, on yahoo.com ads that are being served up look awful. I have my Samsung set to "fit screen" but wish I could reduce the size of the text to sharpen it up while leaving it on to "fit screen". Guess this is the price I pay for wanting a large screen and sitting only a few feet away.

Cheers,

Dan
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 30, 2011 8:38:28 PM

dbtrader said:
It really only seems to be certain pics. For example, on yahoo.com ads that are being served up look awful. I have my Samsung set to "fit screen" but wish I could reduce the size of the text to sharpen it up while leaving it on to "fit screen". Guess this is the price I pay for wanting a large screen and sitting only a few feet away.

Cheers,

Dan

That is going to depend on the resolution of the picture and the "space" it has to fill on the webpage. If you have a 640x480 pic and it has to fit a 1280x960 space the pic gets enlarged, then you show it on a 40 in. 1920x1080 screen & it uses the enlarged pixels, and the picture viewing quality goes down fast! :( 
m
l
August 30, 2011 9:52:10 PM

clarkjd said:
That is going to depend on the resolution of the picture and the "space" it has to fill on the webpage. If you have a 640x480 pic and it has to fit a 1280x960 space the pic gets enlarged, then you show it on a 40 in. 1920x1080 screen & it uses the enlarged pixels, and the picture viewing quality goes down fast! :( 

Boooo.... Not the answer I wanted to hear :D 
m
l
!