Full Screen not filling the screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronnielebaron

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
All right, so I've got a weird problem I've never seen before. Just got a new Dell from Costco, and for some reason, full screen doesn't fill the screen. I know the top of the screen works because I can drag stuff up to it, and it works. However, for some reason, going full screen, it leaves a strip of unused space at the top of the screen. Now, normally I wouldn't care - it's a big monitor and I've got plenty of space. But it sure makes it a nuisance to go to click the "x" and miss every time and re-aim. Any help would be appreciated!

Video card is ATI Radeon HD 6450, running Windows 7 Home Premium.

Here is a picture of what I'm talking about.

funkysizing.jpg

Solution
Are you running Aero Snap? Can you move a non-full screen window into that space? I'd assume that's what you meant by being able to drag into that area.

ronnielebaron

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
Yes, aero snap and all the other windows 7 defaults are all enabled. But this is the case with other Windows 7 machines I have and have worked on, but has never made a difference. I can only assume it has something to do with my video card...but then, as I said before, and to answer your question, yes, I can drag other stuff into that top area, but it's funny, when I let it go, it bounces back down, keeping that top area free of anything, including icons/window space. At first I thought there must be something wrong with my monitor, but then I realized everything can move into that space, but it gets kicked out the moment you let it go.

ronnielebaron

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
Got my answer. Contacted Dell and they took over. Apparently, it's a result of a known issue with the Dell Data Safe Local Backup program's updater service. The technician simply disabled the service associated with it. It's called SoftThinks Agent Service. Once she disabled that, the computer functioned as normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS