Sign in with
Your question
Solved

4K Computer Doesn't Work Properly

Last response: in Motherboards
November 30, 2012 12:43:15 AM

Hi, so I've been doing a lot of trouble shooting on my own trying to solve this problem and there were a lot of good suggestions on this site but none of them worked for me.

So here it is, I built a computer for a friend of mine. He spent just about 4 grand on all the components, but the computer just does not run properly.. It will hang on the motherboard splash screen sometimes.. especially when there are peripherals attached windows takes a year to load if it does. it takes about 3 or 4 attempts to get that far normally. It's only ever been able to find the solid state drive but neither of the two HDDs have consistently been recognized by the system. When you are in windows the performance of the machine is piss poor. a 2 min video should not take 13 min to render with this machine.

the specs are:

Gigabyte X79S-UP5-Wifi Motherboard
Intel i7 @ 3.2
Corsair water-cooling
5 fans total
32 GB of Gskill Trident X @ 2400
Zotac GTX 680
Corsair 850 watt power Supply
500 GB Samsung SDD
Two 2TB WD HDDs
Corsair 800D Case
Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

I've already tried:
-Pulling the Ram and attempting to boot with one stick (this caused the computer to start/shutoff rapidly)
-Resetting the bios/cmos
-Attempting to repair Windows via startup repair tool
-running a test/clean and recovery of bad sectors on the SDD

No no avail. the system doesn't start consistently and is slow when it does. and once in windows performance is poor.

I was really really careful when I put this thing together. I read the motherboard manual to make sure that everything was powered properly and plugged in securely.

Things I'm considering:
-Is it a driver error or was the install of windows bad somehow?
-Is it the motherboard itself that does not function properly?
-is any other specific component malfunctioning and if so how do I test?
-is 850W to little to power this machine?

Please help, this has been a persistent headache for the last few days. I really need to get this thing fixed.

More about : computer work properly

Best solution

a c 1151 V Motherboard
November 30, 2012 1:32:02 PM

Plenty power and if everything is connected correctly then the disappearing HDD point to a flawed motherboard.
December 3, 2012 6:03:02 PM

Best answer selected by SmashKAB.
m
l
!