New Build @ Christmas

iArereya

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Approximate Purchase Date: Christmas time

Budget Range: 460 pound

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, emulators, internet TV streaming and browsing

Parts Not Required: OS (already got windows), HDD (gonna wait for prices to drop again)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Aria

Country of Origin: England, United Kingdom

Parts Preferences: AMD CPU (No bulldozer)

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1440x900 or 1366x768 depending on monitor selection

Additional Comments: Good looking case with window,

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's a build i configured
AMD Phenom II X4 Quad Core 955 Black Edition 125W C3 (Socket AM3) Processor w/ FREE DiRT3 Game!
MSI 870-C45 AMD 870 (Socket AM3+) DDR3 PCI-Express ATX Motherboard
8GB GEIL Enhance CORSA (2x4GB) DDR3 1333MHz 9-9-9-24 Dual Channel kit
17" Hanns.G HW173DBB LCD Monitor
600W Corsair Builder Series 600CX V2 Power Supply
Xigmatek Asgard II w/ Window Midi Tower Chassis
MSI GeForce GTX 460 SE 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
Logitech S120 2.0 Channel SpeakersGigabyte K6800 Gaming Keyboard
Logitech S96 Optical Mouse
Lite On DVD Writer, IHAS224, Lightscribe, SATA, Black, OEM 24x Speed, "B" model

casualbuilder

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
Unless you get a 9xx's AM3+ board, it probably wont house an AM3+ chip...as odd as that sounds. So, i would suggest the Asrock 990FX, their bottom like, if you go with an AM3+. I recommend you dont though, and get an 880 AM3 board. This will free up some money for a better video card. If you are going amd, and only have that budget range, check to see if they sell an AMD Zosma 960T chip. It has the possiblity to unlock a 5th and 6th core, and you can get a cheap aftermarket hsf for OC'ing, preferrably a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ (EVO).

Everything else looks ok. Keep an eye out for the new 6xx's and 7xxx's coming out either end of year or early next year for gpu's. If you have the means to save some cash, and you can wait, i would recommend getting a 64xx gpu for now, probably 1/3 of the price of the 460, and then upgrade after the new release.

iArereya

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011
What happens if i was to buy a placeholder gpu like a hd 4850 secondhand? would that work as well? thanks for all that advice really helps. they don't sell AMD phenom ii 960ts and could i replace my gtx 460 se for a hd 4850 at about 50 pound and buy a coolermaster hyper 212?

casualbuilder

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
I would definately get a "placeholder" card if you can save up for a new release card. I realize budgets are tight, so i think buying an AM3+ board, especially with Bulldozers produced more for multi-threaded apps instead of gaming, an AM3 board is all you need, along with a Phenom II BE chip. The 955BE is the best AMD chip for gaming if you are willing to OC it.