Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Phenom II 975 vs I5 I7 (2500,2600)

Last response: in CPUs
Share
a c 152 à CPUs
January 29, 2012 12:52:06 AM

OK so earlier in the week you remeber that I asked you guys about processors for a build I was doing for my dad. Well now I have another build for someone else that he does work for. This computer will be for office work. The person said they don't care what it cost just keep it under 1000 dollars. They also said they want the computer to be fast with good reliable parts. So I can't decide what processor to use in this build. I was looking at the I5 or I7 (2500, 2600 as there is no need for overclocking in this computer) paired with a Z68 board or the AMD Phenom II 975 quad core paired with a FX 990. How does the Phenom II 975 compare with I7 and I5 2600/2500 processor

More about : phenom 975 2500 2600

a b à CPUs
January 29, 2012 1:12:08 AM

I don't see why the 975 wouldn't work. After all, crunching numbers is hardly a big deal. The 2600 is more of a powerhouse for audio encoding, video editing, rendering, etc... Considering price vs. performance, I would say the 975 should be good. But if in doubt, go for the 2500, though unless they are doing crazy things that would be overkill.
Score
0
a c 186 à CPUs
January 29, 2012 2:09:20 AM

Why not a 2600?
Score
0
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 29, 2012 3:15:10 AM

Why buy a $300+ processor for productivity/office use, when a far cheaper processor will be more than suitable for it?
Score
0

Best solution

a c 119 à CPUs
January 29, 2012 3:57:29 AM

because time is money. the intel is faster across the board so will save money in the long term... more work+less time=mo money...
in most cases the 2500 will be enough but if you need massive number crunching ability along with multiple databases and presentations then the 2600 could be a better option and as your not gonna need the biggest and best gfx card then why not get the best cpu that can be had in yer budget... for office use i may even consider a 2011 socket and put a vidoe card in rather than a gfx card. as i said hes more likley to be using it for databases than playing games.
Share
a b à CPUs
January 29, 2012 4:42:35 AM

While I mostly agree with you, it really depends on what the person does for a living. I could have sworn that the OP mentioned that the person was an accountant? I'm not sure what all software/databases he uses. I suppose I could ask some of the accountants here what they use and how fast they can do it on their 2.0 Ghz C2D PCs.
Score
0
a c 119 à CPUs
January 29, 2012 7:24:25 AM

yer rite most database and presentation apps dont need huge amounts of cpu, but its better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it...
Score
0
January 29, 2012 8:11:29 AM

HEXiT said:
yer rite most database and presentation apps dont need huge amounts of cpu, but its better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it...


...until you realise you're $50 down.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
January 29, 2012 8:48:59 AM

not sure why you would recommend spending so much on a pc like that but an i3 2100t should do well.
Score
0
January 29, 2012 8:57:25 AM

esrever said:
not sure why you would recommend spending so much on a pc like that but an i3 2100t should do well.


Yes, I agree with you. Office works for i3 2100 already sufficient!
Score
0
a b à CPUs
January 29, 2012 11:29:34 AM

Hi :) 

As someone said....any $500 machine from the local computer shop will do....why custom build an office pc....it DOESNT need a graphics card even..onboard will do...

Dont overcomplicate things...

By the way....to the OP....are YOU warranting thses machines you are building for businesses ?

If you are not, this is going to come back and bite you....a business may well pay $1000 for a machine, but if it breaks in 3 months, they WILL come back to you...and expect YOU to fix it for free....and dont forget ...ALL machines will break eventually....

All the best Brett :) 
Score
0
a c 152 à CPUs
January 29, 2012 4:54:24 PM

Best answer selected by RDS1220.
Score
0
a c 152 à CPUs
January 29, 2012 5:10:02 PM

HEXiT said:
because time is money. the intel is faster across the board so will save money in the long term... more work+less time=mo money...
in most cases the 2500 will be enough but if you need massive number crunching ability along with multiple databases and presentations then the 2600 could be a better option and as your not gonna need the biggest and best gfx card then why not get the best cpu that can be had in yer budget... for office use i may even consider a 2011 socket and put a vidoe card in rather than a gfx card. as i said hes more likley to be using it for databases than playing games.


That's what I was thinking too. It's an office computer so there is no need for a 300 dollar video card. So because of that why not put that money towars the best CPU. The I7 will be better because it has the better IGP (not thats its great but its one better then the 2000 graphics) and more importantly has hyper threading that will help with speed if the person is doing alot of things all at the same time.

phyco126 said:
While I mostly agree with you, it really depends on what the person does for a living. I could have sworn that the OP mentioned that the person was an accountant? I'm not sure what all software/databases he uses. I suppose I could ask some of the accountants here what they use and how fast they can do it on their 2.0 Ghz C2D PCs.


No that is my dad. This is a different computer for someone else.

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

As someone said....any $500 machine from the local computer shop will do....why custom build an office pc....it DOESNT need a graphics card even..onboard will do...

Dont overcomplicate things...

By the way....to the OP....are YOU warranting thses machines you are building for businesses ?

If you are not, this is going to come back and bite you....a business may well pay $1000 for a machine, but if it breaks in 3 months, they WILL come back to you...and expect YOU to fix it for free....and dont forget ...ALL machines will break eventually....

All the best Brett :) 


Because prebuilt computers are junk. Most have junky FoxxConn mobo's, junky PSU's, cheap video card (if it comes with a video card) pretty much cheap everything. I can do a custom build and it will be more reliable and better quality than anything from Dell, HP/Compaq, IBM/ Lonovo. As for the warrenty yes I am.
Score
0
a c 119 à CPUs
January 29, 2012 6:02:11 PM

thing is i was just going off 1000 budget, but the guys have a point. you can get decent office performance for 500 quid and your much more likely to get repeat business if you build a quality system for not much money. better to spend sum1 elses money wisely and give them more than they ask for for a lot less money.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
January 29, 2012 7:16:20 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!