Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Intel Core i5 3.3 GHz vs 4.5 Ghz

Last response: in CPUs
January 29, 2012 1:20:16 AM

This is my first post, so hi :)  I'm ready to upgrade my computer with a new CPU and i have the Intel Core i5 in mind. I was searching around on ebay and found a brand new i5, the box is opened but the seller claims its never been used, it's 3.3 GHz, but i kept on looking and saw a used one, overclocked to 4.5 GHz. I have no experience in overclocking, and wont want to because i might burn something so since the CPU's been OC'ed already its an advantage for me. Which one do you think i should go with? Thanks in advance. :) 

More about : intel core ghz ghz

Best solution

a c 165 à CPUs
January 29, 2012 1:23:47 AM

Buying an OC'd CPU is a bad idea. The overclocking settings are stored on the motherboard, not on the CPU so if you buy the CPU alone you simply get a CPU that has been abused previously in an unknown manner by someone else that is only going to be running at stock speeds when you put it in your system. You can buy a full system with an OC'd CPU and that will hold the settings, but a CPU alone with no motherboard isn't overclocked, just previously abused.
a b à CPUs
January 29, 2012 1:48:14 AM

don't buy that use OC'ed one. More likely than not, he broke something and wants to pawn it off.
Related resources
January 29, 2012 1:54:32 AM

Thanks for the help guys :)  Do you think i should buy the one that the seller claims as 'brand new' or buy one unopened? I dont really mind buying something used cause i like to upgrade a lot, but something could be wrong with the used one...
January 29, 2012 1:54:52 AM

Best answer selected by gabrielorie.
a b à CPUs
January 29, 2012 11:49:58 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!