Sign in with
Your question
Solved

To RMA or not to RMA

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 28, 2011 1:43:40 PM

Very often my screen suddenly goes black for a few seconds and then returns with the error - Driver stopped responding but has recovered...

I'm using a PNY GeForce 560 Ti OC (factory overclocked - not by me)

I'm running the latest 280.26 drivers. It's a new system so I don't have any drivers to roll back to.

I have a Visiontek 700W power supply with Dual +12V rails. There are 2 6 pin connectors (one is a 6+2 - not using the +2).

Anyway, the issue crops up very often, mostly during video's or games, but sometimes even when simply browsing.

I need to know if this is a hardware fault so I can just swap it out at Best Buy, or a driver issue with Nvidia. Help?

Thanks,

Javasligner

More about : rma rma

a c 272 U Graphics card
August 28, 2011 1:50:59 PM

Have you tried down clocking the card?
m
l
August 28, 2011 1:56:30 PM

I really have no clue how to do that....
m
l
Related resources
a c 272 U Graphics card
August 28, 2011 1:59:27 PM

Download and run MSI Afterburner.
m
l
August 30, 2011 6:46:18 PM

I have a PNY GeForce 560 Ti that is factory overclocked. And I've had nothing but trouble with it...

I get repeated driver not responding blackouts which flick back on after a few seconds. Happens during movies/videos, games, and less so browsing.

I have downgraded from the current 280.26 drivers to the 275.xx drivers. Still does it...
I have turned off power management in windows for the PCI express... no change...
I upgraded to the beta 280.36... even worse...

Now as this happens with multiple driver sets it seems it may not be a driver issue... Yet over on the Nvidia forums it seems LOTS of people are having this issue with this driver... and this card...

Anyway, I got this card from Best Buy and I can return it, exchange it, or keep it... but time is running out... Should I swap it out for the same card and see if I had a bad card? Get a different 560 Ti through amazon/newegg?

Or just wait for a new driver...

Help?

Javaslinger
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
August 30, 2011 6:54:09 PM

It's possible that the Factory O.C. isn't sufficent.

Try Downloading MSIAfterburner and downclocking to the GTX560ti stock clocks.
Core Clock=822
Shader Clock=1645.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 30, 2011 6:55:41 PM

That message is not one particular problem or issue, it just means the card stopped working and then started working again. Could be a faulty card, overheating, or the power supply isn't capable of delivering as much power as the card needs.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 30, 2011 6:57:06 PM

If you have to down clock the card to get it to work and it's under warranty I would just go ahead and return it.
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
August 30, 2011 6:57:55 PM

Was trying to troubleshoot to see if it was a defective card.
m
l
August 30, 2011 7:40:56 PM

I have a 700W Visiontek GPU with 2 12+Amp rails I think... that should be plenty right??
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
August 30, 2011 7:47:05 PM

Yes it should.

How many amps are on the +12v rails?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 30, 2011 8:00:28 PM

+1 for RMA
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
August 30, 2011 9:18:50 PM

It looks like it's only capable of delivering around 500+ watts but even that is enough for a single GTX560ti.
m
l
August 31, 2011 3:41:47 AM

Yeah, so using MSI AFterburner I set the clocks to the stock clocks as suggested above. Definitely DID NOT help... IF anything it was worse...

Does that indicated a bad board?
m
l
August 31, 2011 4:23:11 AM

In another thread I saw mention that the factory overclocked cards might not have the correct voltage to provide stability. They were mentioning bumping their voltage up form 1036 to 1050.

So I thought I'd check to see what my PNY card was at. MSI afterburner put it at 975Mv??? That's quite a ways off from 1036...

Anyone have a clue if this seems low for a factory overclocked 560 Ti?

In anycase I set it to 1036 and gave it a shot on Deus Ex:HR which previously I could barely play for 10 minutes before it would crash. Even when just playing simple movies I'd get the dreaded 'Driver stopped responding error'...

Well I played for a full hour without a single stutter much less a crash.... Could I finally have found the problem???

The temps while playing Deus Ex:HR on the card did get up to 87. Is that overly high? I understand that's your major concern when increasing voltage...

Anyway, any and all advice is much appreciated...

Thanks,

Javasligner
m
l
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 31, 2011 10:27:16 AM

I think playing for a couple of hours without any problem gives you the answer. 87 is nicely warm but not to hot i think, maybe try to set the fanspeed a bit higher.( round 75C is nice )
I have an gigabyte 560ti soc and it even uses higher voltages ( 1.15V or more ), before with older driver and lower voltage settings i had the same problem, crashes, driver stopping etc.
m
l
August 31, 2011 11:43:31 AM

Hmm, it keeps resetting back to 975 when I have to reboot. Can you permanently change it to the higher setting somehow? I'm using MSI Afterburner...
m
l
a c 104 U Graphics card
August 31, 2011 11:49:19 AM

Did you download the latest driver from MSI ? I think you can configure Afterburner so that it will automaticly starts with Windows and you can also configure a "profile", not sure though if it automaticly adjust the voltage then or you have to manually click on a "profile".
m
l

Best solution

a c 214 U Graphics card
August 31, 2011 7:19:35 PM

Yah that mean's the card is defective.
August 31, 2011 8:40:49 PM

So... it turns out that PNY has shipped their cards under-volted... My PNY was reading 975mV via MSI Afterburner. I bumped it up to 1012Mv and I haven't had a single issue since...
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
August 31, 2011 8:43:57 PM

That doesn't make sense.If it was undervolted that means that O.C.ing it higher would only make it worse.
m
l
August 31, 2011 9:57:41 PM

I didn't overclock it higher.. I upped the voltage a bit. The voltage was too low for the clock speeds
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
August 31, 2011 10:30:47 PM

Hmm.That still doesn't make sense because I asked you to lower the clocks to stock.So if it couldn't support the stock clocks with the voltage allowed then it must have been really low.But this is what I meant by lowering the clocks.The card wasn't getting enough voltage.
m
l
September 3, 2011 12:12:29 AM

So I'd been getting the infamous 'Driver stopped responding error' with my PNY GeForce GTX 560 ti OC. I'd tried dropping back to an earlier driver, disabling power management of the PCIexpress, lowering clock speeds to the non-overclocked speeds, and increasing voltages. All met with early success that faded quickly. Increasing voltages really seemed to do the trick at first, but eventually the errors crept in again and grew in frequency.

So I returned the card to Best Buy and bought an EVGA 560 ti Superclocked DS (Dual fans - Better heatsink)

Well, this one is worse than ever... Whereas with the PNY the screen would flicker off for a few seconds and always return... The EVGA card will do that very quickly and then simply cut off completely...

I'm running the earlier 275.33 drivers... It will run in safe mode or on the standard windows VGA driver, but as soon as run the Nvidia drivers its awful. In fact with the EVGA card it's not even usable.. Within a minute of crapping out and restoring, it will finally simply turn off completely and not come back on...

Soooo.. do I have the unfortunate luck of TWO back 560 ti's? Or is it possibly my motherboad (P8P67)? Or my PSU (Visiontek 700w with dual +12rails). I just looked it up for it's specs and see that it got a truly TERRIBLE review... perhaps that's the problem... http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/09/01/visiontek_700...

I've got 3 internal hard drives plus the 560 ti... maybe it's not handling...

Anyway, I'm at a loss... how does one go about troubleshooting this at this point?

Javasligner
m
l
a c 104 U Graphics card
September 3, 2011 12:18:19 AM

Can you download drivers from evga for this particular GPU, often 560 Soc cards don't work with standard drivers, beacause they want higher core voltage. Otherwise maybe try to get the core voltage higher, my Gigabyte 560ti soc runs on 1,15 or even higher.
m
l
September 6, 2011 8:05:06 PM

Ok, to briefly recap my saga... Bought a new PC without a video card from a local shop. Bought the video card, a PNY 560 Ti OC from Best Buy... After a week driver related crashed and troubleshooting drivers, clock speeds, etc I felt that it had to be the card itself and returned it...

Bought an EVGA 560Ti SC DS from Amazon.com.. Same problems but worse... faster to fail...

Decided it had to be another component in the PC. PSU was a very suspect poorly review Visiontek unit... Upgraded to a Toughman 700W... Still having issues...

The shop I bought the PC from kept it overnight running stress tests to find the problem. The motherboard and CPU passed with flying colors.. Running Graphics card stress tests the unit would fail in 10 minutes.. Some kind of artifact scan test also failed with in 5 minutes... They tested the PC with another generic video card and the unit ran fine.

So, they tell me I just have the unfortunate luck of getting two bad video cards...

Is this possible??? Is there another more likely possibility before I return a 2nd video card only to find the 3rd one fail?

Thanks for any advice,

Javaslinger
m
l
September 6, 2011 8:08:47 PM

it's possible,, however improbable,,, but you did have the shop test the other components and you upgraded the PSU,,,how bout backing down to the old PSU and retest,, also perhaps run Memtest and upgrade your BIOS.
m
l
September 6, 2011 8:34:51 PM

most likely the PSU could be the culprit. The old PSU could of damaged both your cards over time. You said you replaced your PSU - did you try using another a known video card after you replaced it?
m
l
a c 104 U Graphics card
September 6, 2011 8:35:32 PM

I assume you and the shop did test it with the latest drivers from the manufacturer site and not the ( older ) one's from the installation cd ? 560 ti sc can be a bit picky were it comes to drivers. ( especially bios )
m
l
September 6, 2011 9:51:21 PM

If by manufacturers site, you mean the EVGA site, rather than the Nvidia site, then... No...

I installed the drivers from Nvidia... I was under the impression the the drivers at the EVGA site were identical to those at the Nvidia site...

m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
September 6, 2011 10:03:38 PM

What is the make/model of your motherboard?

If they tested it then you have to believe them.Like monkeysweat said it's highly unlikely but still possible that you got another DOA card.If it doesn't work the 3rd time then their's something else happening.Usually when a GPU crash's it means that the clocks are unstable for the voltage it's getting.
m
l
a c 104 U Graphics card
September 6, 2011 10:06:28 PM

Quote:
If by manufacturers site, you mean the EVGA site, rather than the Nvidia site, then... No...

I installed the drivers from Nvidia... I was under the impression the the drivers at the EVGA site were identical to those at the Nvidia site...

Well don't know about evga, but i had crahsing problems and driver errors untill i downloaded the latest drivers for windows and bios from gigabyte, and i think that the bios was the most important, but not sure of that ( i've got gigabyte 560 ti soc btw ) When i tried the nvidea site drivers it would allready crash during installation and reboot.
So no idea if thats the problem with your 560 sc but i do know they often can't run on normal drivers because they want more core voltage. Mine is running at 1.04V idle and 1.15V or more while gaming. Anyway it's the fastest and cheapest test you can do i think.
Btw what was the generic card the shop tried, also an 560 sc ? Because then it's probably not a driver issue.
m
l
a c 272 U Graphics card
September 6, 2011 10:08:33 PM

This next topics has been merged by Mousemonkey
  • Repeated driver crashes with PNY GeForce 560 Ti OC
  • Possible solution to PNY GeForce 560 Ti issues?
  • Great... not again
  • At a loss...
    m
    l
    a c 104 U Graphics card
    September 6, 2011 10:12:57 PM

Pfffffffffffffffffff, telling the same . . . . over and over again i believe . . . Good night, sleep well. Nice talking to you. ( thanks MM, i'll remember the name, saves me a lot of useless typing i believe )
    m
    l
    September 6, 2011 10:29:49 PM

What?!? :)  Updates don't warrant a new thread???

I need current up to date prompt replies!!! :) 

I'll try installing the drivers from EVGA tonight... see if that makes a difference...

In any case, Amazon is overnighting me a replacement card... If that fails.. yeah.. who the F knows...

m
    l
    a c 104 U Graphics card
    September 6, 2011 10:45:24 PM

Mmmmmm, checked the evga site and it's probably the same driver as the nvidea site ; 280.26. Mine is running on 8.17.12.6644, so completely different. try the oc scanner on evga anyway.
    m
    l
    a c 214 U Graphics card
    September 6, 2011 11:26:20 PM

So I don't get what happened.You said in the earlier posts that you fixed the PNY one with a clock increase as strange as it sounds.So what's going on?

If the EVGA card is doing the same thing as the PNY then you should try repeating the same troubleshooting technique's you used to fix the PNY card.Try upping the voltage or lowering the clocks.
    m
    l
    September 7, 2011 11:45:33 AM

Increasing the voltage on the PNY seemed like a miracle cure for the PNY, but it only lasted a day... then it was back to it's old tricks..
    m
    l
    September 7, 2011 12:53:15 PM

I HAD a visiontek PSU.. As mentioned earlier that was the 2nd thing I swapped out (the first being the PNY 560 Ti card for the EVGA card)... I now have a Toughpower 700W and it's still a problem.... Though it 'might' be a bit more stable...

Today I will receive my 3rd card.. another EVGA 560 Ti SC DS from Amazon... If it continues the impressive run of failing graphics cards, then I suppose next I'll try to reinstall windows? Thought the shop booted off fresh install of windows they have for testing and it failed on that too...

Crossing fingers...
    m
    l
    September 7, 2011 10:46:45 PM

So it turns out I'm not crazy... 3rd video card is the charm... Got a replacement EVGA 560 Ti SC DS from Amazon. Stress tests pass.. not a single flicker or crash... Previous card crashed at Str....

Finally...
    m
    l
    September 13, 2011 12:29:00 PM

Best answer selected by Javaslinger.
    m
    l
    !