To RMA or not to RMA

Javaslinger

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
Very often my screen suddenly goes black for a few seconds and then returns with the error - Driver stopped responding but has recovered...

I'm using a PNY GeForce 560 Ti OC (factory overclocked - not by me)

I'm running the latest 280.26 drivers. It's a new system so I don't have any drivers to roll back to.

I have a Visiontek 700W power supply with Dual +12V rails. There are 2 6 pin connectors (one is a 6+2 - not using the +2).

Anyway, the issue crops up very often, mostly during video's or games, but sometimes even when simply browsing.

I need to know if this is a hardware fault so I can just swap it out at Best Buy, or a driver issue with Nvidia. Help?

Thanks,

Javasligner

Javaslinger

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
I have a PNY GeForce 560 Ti that is factory overclocked. And I've had nothing but trouble with it...

I get repeated driver not responding blackouts which flick back on after a few seconds. Happens during movies/videos, games, and less so browsing.

I have downgraded from the current 280.26 drivers to the 275.xx drivers. Still does it...
I have turned off power management in windows for the PCI express... no change...
I upgraded to the beta 280.36... even worse...

Now as this happens with multiple driver sets it seems it may not be a driver issue... Yet over on the Nvidia forums it seems LOTS of people are having this issue with this driver... and this card...

Anyway, I got this card from Best Buy and I can return it, exchange it, or keep it... but time is running out... Should I swap it out for the same card and see if I had a bad card? Get a different 560 Ti through amazon/newegg?

Or just wait for a new driver...

Help?

Javaslinger

benski

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
That message is not one particular problem or issue, it just means the card stopped working and then started working again. Could be a faulty card, overheating, or the power supply isn't capable of delivering as much power as the card needs.

Javaslinger

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
In another thread I saw mention that the factory overclocked cards might not have the correct voltage to provide stability. They were mentioning bumping their voltage up form 1036 to 1050.

So I thought I'd check to see what my PNY card was at. MSI afterburner put it at 975Mv??? That's quite a ways off from 1036...

Anyone have a clue if this seems low for a factory overclocked 560 Ti?

In anycase I set it to 1036 and gave it a shot on Deus Ex:HR which previously I could barely play for 10 minutes before it would crash. Even when just playing simple movies I'd get the dreaded 'Driver stopped responding error'...

Well I played for a full hour without a single stutter much less a crash.... Could I finally have found the problem???

The temps while playing Deus Ex:HR on the card did get up to 87. Is that overly high? I understand that's your major concern when increasing voltage...

Anyway, any and all advice is much appreciated...

Thanks,

Javasligner

I think playing for a couple of hours without any problem gives you the answer. 87 is nicely warm but not to hot i think, maybe try to set the fanspeed a bit higher.( round 75C is nice )
I have an gigabyte 560ti soc and it even uses higher voltages ( 1.15V or more ), before with older driver and lower voltage settings i had the same problem, crashes, driver stopping etc.

Did you download the latest driver from MSI ? I think you can configure Afterburner so that it will automaticly starts with Windows and you can also configure a "profile", not sure though if it automaticly adjust the voltage then or you have to manually click on a "profile".

Hmm.That still doesn't make sense because I asked you to lower the clocks to stock.So if it couldn't support the stock clocks with the voltage allowed then it must have been really low.But this is what I meant by lowering the clocks.The card wasn't getting enough voltage.