bubbletub

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
Greetings - I am brand new member to this great PC community , have been prowling along these forums for a few days itching with the idea of building my first desktop . I would like to think of myself as an avid gamer since I first put my hands on copy Diablo , got rather engrossed in the game after which I decided cut back on gaming and focus on finishing school and University.

Now six years later graduated and ready to jump back in the deep end. Really excited getting a taste of Skyrim with BF3 for desert. Had in mind a build with GTX 570 in sli , but turns out that I won't be able to play Skyrim on launch as I will be traveling. Taking that into account I have it in me to wait for the news on the GPU series in Jan/Feb and from what I have read new * bridges * coming out, I am still rather clueless in regards to all hardware still working my way to catching up.

So as the title sums it up Q4 2011 or Q1 2012 , keep in mind it will be a high end build with 1500 - 1800 budget, which I would love to last for 3 - 5 years .
Can't describe how excited I am to embark on this journey , after doing mild gaming on a low end 15 inch laptop for past 4 years !

Thanks in advance all advice will be much appreciated !

- Excuse any butchering of English language I may have committed I'm French -

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
So, when do you plan on playing? It's always better to wait and as you are wanting to get into the market at the end of the cycle it would be better to get into the start of the new cycle especially if you want to last 3-5 years.

What should come out Q1 next year:

New graphics cards GTX 600 and Radeon 7000
Motherboards with PCIe 3.0
Ivy bridge platform
more CPU options

By purchasing now you'd probably want to sandy bridge lga1155. Not entirely sure what Intel has planned for it and if they hose it like the did with lga1156 then you'd be stuck with no upgrade path and would have to purchase a new system.

bubbletub

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
Thanks for the response , taking your points into consideration seems like a Q1 2012 build would be preferable on the long term.

So, when do you plan on playing?

Well I can start playing as early as the first week of December , but will plug into patience mode and have my start in february/march . Meaning better system and hopefully the Skyrim modding community will be in full swing by then so it will make up for an even better experience.