Sign in with
Your question

[Q]Computer freezing

Last response: in Components
January 29, 2012 5:29:27 AM

My computer is freezing constantly (probably once a day), and the only way to fix it is restarting it.

Sometimes I'm for example on YouTube, and the computer freezes, and SOMETIMES the audio keeps on working, but other times (most of the times) it freezes too.

I have a XFX 9800GT, an Antec 620c Power Supply, an AMD Athlon x3 435, and a 750GB Seagate Hard drive.

I'm suspecting that it's either the GPU, the CPU, or the Hard Drive, but I don't have any way of knowing which of those it is.

Any idea on what part it can be?

More about : computer freezing

January 29, 2012 8:52:34 AM

electrolover said:
What os do you use?

Windows 7 64bit Ultimate
m
l
Related resources
January 29, 2012 9:16:17 AM

From my experience, your computer freezing might due to the hardware failure or compatibility. Does this happen before or only recently and how old is your motherboard and other parts? Some of my Asus motherboard had the capacitor leakage problems after 3 years usage. That actually caused the computer freezing. Open up and have a look at the capacitors of your motherboard, if they are swollen then you need to get yourself new motherboard.

You may try to take out all the computer hardware parts (video card and etc) disconnect and reconnect your hard disk and that sort of things. It might help sometime. However do not take out the processor.

You also can try to reinstall the OS and check it can work properly. Try to contact your motherboard's manufacturer for helps. You can the online help from them.

Good luck!
m
l
January 29, 2012 9:31:21 AM

tiang said:
From my experience, your computer freezing might due to the hardware failure or compatibility. Does this happen before or only recently and how old is your motherboard and other parts? Some of my Asus motherboard had the capacitor leakage problems after 3 years usage. That actually caused the computer freezing. Open up and have a look at the capacitors of your motherboard, if they are swollen then you need to get yourself new motherboard.

You may try to take out all the computer hardware parts (video card and etc) disconnect and reconnect your hard disk and that sort of things. It might help sometime. However do not take out the processor.

You also can try to reinstall the OS and check it can work properly. Try to contact your motherboard's manufacturer for helps. You can the online help from them.

Good luck!

I bought the RAM and motherboard like 1 year ago, the power supply and case are new, the video card is like 1-2 years, and the hard drive and processor were bought "used" online so I don't know their age.

This problem started AROUND (not at the same time) when I installed the XFX 9800GT which is an used card, but don't know if it's that or another thing, because it started happening like half a month after installing the card.

Only thing I have noticed related to the parts I said (video card, hard drive, processor), is that when I boot up the computer, the hard drive makes a beep-like sound (happened since I bought it, but it was used), and RARELY happens if it's under heavy usage, but I used hard drive benchmarks and bad sector scans and it shows up perfect.

m
l
!