Specs:
Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit
Asus Striker II Formula 780i Nforce motherboard
4 GB OCZ 1066 Platinum DDR2 memory
Corsair TX850w
Evga GTX 470 SC
Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB
Hitachi Deskstar 1 TB

Anyways, my question relates to this annoying Disk Boot Failure that arises whenever I do a hard reset of the computer as a result of a total system lock-up in Windows. Sometimes it's there, sometimes I boot into windows with no error.

The issue comes up because my BIOS does not list the SATA hard drives or CD-ROM drive. As a result of not seeing the drives, I can not boot into windows. Nothing is there.

To fix the issue, I have:

A. Moved the HDD's to different Sata ports (I have 6).
B. Load Bios Defaults
C. Tried booting from Sata Controller (which resulted in a BSOD when loading windows 0x07B)
D. Flashed Bios.

Again, this issue is intermittent but ONLY comes about after doing a hard reset of the PC. It will occasionally lock up when watching videos online or video editing or simply web browsing.

So a couple of days ago the issue came up again and I'm getting annoyed. The motherboard is fine (everything is listed properly...Sata ports just don't want to play nice).

Any help? I may have to reset the CMOS ...

Thanks

More about : disk boot failure

a b B Homebuilt system
October 28, 2011 4:45:30 PM

cmos clear...and are all your drivers up to date?
m
l
October 28, 2011 4:59:49 PM

which drivers are you referring too?
m
l
Related resources
October 28, 2011 5:02:26 PM

Sounds like what happened to me before a HDD failed. How old is yours?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 28, 2011 5:03:23 PM

your cd-rom drivers. also, do you have your hdd set as the main boot drive?
m
l
October 28, 2011 5:04:46 PM

it's a three year old HDD (the one with the OS on it).

I honestly don't think that it's a hard drive error because once I can get bios to recognize everything, booting is flawless.

Even if I just have the CD-ROM drive or the Hitachi Deskstar hooked up, Bios doesn't see them.

Last time I fixed the issue was loading Bios Defaults and hooking up one drive at a time.

m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 28, 2011 5:08:04 PM

do you have the latest BIOS updates? if so, i think that ram1009 is on to something.
m
l
October 28, 2011 5:09:15 PM

casualbuilder said:
your cd-rom drivers. also, do you have your hdd set as the main boot drive?

Back when I built the system, the CD-Rom drivers were downloaded and successfully installed. At this point, I don't really need a CD-ROM drive seeing as how I download everything from the Internet.

As for setting my western digital as the main boot drive, I can't. Bios doesn't recognize any sata device connected to the mainboard. When it DOES recognize it, I can set boot priority etc...
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 28, 2011 5:11:25 PM

ok, look at replacing the HDD first, but this could be a SATA port connection problem as well, possibly the MoBo going bad. this does lead to a 3 year old HDD though.
m
l
October 28, 2011 5:12:36 PM

casualbuilder said:
do you have the latest BIOS updates? if so, i think that ram1009 is on to something.

I said in my first post that I had flashed to the latest Bios version (revision 2402), which I downloaded from the Asus website.

As for installing any drivers...there is no way if I cannot even get into windows. The drives are there, they are connected. Everything is working properly EXCEPT the sata controllers. Bios just doesn't see them. As I said, IDE works fine.

m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 28, 2011 5:13:11 PM

Replace your CMOS battery, then reset your BIOS to defaults.
m
l
October 28, 2011 5:15:43 PM

replace or reseat?

If it is replacement, I am ok with that.

The battery may be dying...I have no idea. The point, manually reseting the computer after a system lock-up causes BIOS to forget what is connected to it (in this case, anything SATA). All other non-sata devices are recognized and listed.

m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 28, 2011 5:20:26 PM

It may be "forgetting" because the battery has died. For a 3-year old system, that is entirely possible. You will need to replace it; it's probably a fairly common lithium coin battery like a CR-2032.
m
l
October 28, 2011 5:28:30 PM

Now during POST I don't receive any CMOS errors. Or "Failing CMOS battery"

But this issue is intermittent, the system acts odd, and everything else is fine.

Man if you're right about this, I will love you forever.

I took a look at the battery. It is a CR2032 NEWSUN 3V Lithium Cell

Now, what procedures should I be ready to use? When I take out the old battery, should I just put the new one in and start it up?

Thanks a lot :) 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 28, 2011 5:31:37 PM

Get the new one. Power off, pry out the old one, put in the new one. Use the CMOS jumper to reset your BIOS to defaults, then put it back. Power up, make any desired settings changes, then hopefully off you go!
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 28, 2011 5:34:15 PM

Also, use this opportunity to clean out dust from your HSF, and also inspect your mobo for failed capacitors (Google "bad capacitors" for some images of what they look like).
m
l
October 28, 2011 5:35:16 PM

Ok.

There is a jumper nearby that, according to my mobo manual, must be set to the "Enabled" position before I can press the Clr CMOS button located on the back of the PC.

So after I do this, hopefully all my SATA devices will be showing up all nice and peachy, and further system lock-ups dont result in a Disk Boot Failure.

Thanks so much!
m
l
October 28, 2011 5:35:36 PM

apaulson93 said:
Specs:
Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit
Asus Striker II Formula 780i Nforce motherboard
4 GB OCZ 1066 Platinum DDR2 memory
Corsair TX850w
Evga GTX 470 SC
Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB
Hitachi Deskstar 1 TB

Anyways, my question relates to this annoying Disk Boot Failure that arises whenever I do a hard reset of the computer as a result of a total system lock-up in Windows. Sometimes it's there, sometimes I boot into windows with no error.

The issue comes up because my BIOS does not list the SATA hard drives or CD-ROM drive. As a result of not seeing the drives, I can not boot into windows. Nothing is there.

To fix the issue, I have:

A. Moved the HDD's to different Sata ports (I have 6).
B. Load Bios Defaults
C. Tried booting from Sata Controller (which resulted in a BSOD when loading windows 0x07B)
D. Flashed Bios.

Again, this issue is intermittent but ONLY comes about after doing a hard reset of the PC. It will occasionally lock up when watching videos online or video editing or simply web browsing.

So a couple of days ago the issue came up again and I'm getting annoyed. The motherboard is fine (everything is listed properly...Sata ports just don't want to play nice).

Any help? I may have to reset the CMOS ...

Thanks

I got the same problems like you. But not same system. I tried every way that you did. But could't solve. Finally, I found the source of problem: the sata cable. Try to change the sata data cable with new one.

Good Luck
m
l
October 28, 2011 5:37:18 PM

I guess it's worth a shot while I'm waiting for my CMOS battery to arrive.

Thanks
m
l
October 28, 2011 5:42:31 PM

Three-volt CR2025 lithium batteries are used by many motherboards to maintain the clock and other permanent settings when AC power is disconnected.

I think this is exactly what the issue was. CMOS battery was aging, and much like a elderly person, was forgetting some things. I even had an issue with the clock after a power outage a week ago. The time was shown as October 21, 2000 on my G15 display.

How odd.

But again, how could a hard reset cause the cmos to forget all the sata devices that were connected to it when a normal shut down and power off through windows doesn't have that issue?

Is it because of the sudden loss of power or sudden reset with no warning that tripped up my CMOS?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 28, 2011 5:57:13 PM

Yes, that battery would work. Wal-Mart, Target, pharmacies, jewelry stores, Home Depot, and Lowes are among the places where you can usually pick these up on the spot.
m
l
October 28, 2011 5:58:49 PM

Thanks so much for your help.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 28, 2011 6:03:02 PM

Please let us know how it goes.
m
l
October 29, 2011 12:13:59 AM

No luck, I'm still getting the issue. No devices are being detected on any sata ports.

:( 

Any other ideas?

Someone posted this in another forum pertaining to my motherboard:

Try this if you are still having this issue. Once in the BIOS, turn RAID on, with RAID turned on update the BIOS again to 2402. Once the BIOS is updated and the machine reboots, go back into the BIOS and the section were you can exit and save, save the settings to DEFAULT, save it and exit out. Then go back into the BIOS and set everything us they you want it/need it.
It is a good pratice to reset the BIOS to default when you update the BIOS and then go back and change the settings the way you want them. Hope this helps a little.

I guess it is worth a shot.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 29, 2011 2:47:49 AM

Yes, resetting the BIOS to defaults can help in any number of circumstances. Sorry to hear that it was not the battery in this case. Did you see any bad capacitors?
m
l
October 29, 2011 3:09:21 AM

No, I looked all around the motherboard for any leaking capacitors but I could not find anything wrong.

I figure I could purchase a Sata II to IDE adaptor so I can at least run the hard drive with the OS on it, or purchase a bootable sata II controller.
Or reflash the bios...

At this point I may end up purchasing a new motherboard and one of those fancy 6 core AMD processors + some DDR3 memory and keep everything else. Maybe it's time for an upgrade?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 29, 2011 3:23:04 AM

I'm not sure the 6-cores are worthwhile, unless you do a lot of rendering and other well-threaded pro-level work.
The nForce chipsets were supposedly rather problematic, but I thought they were buggy from the outset, not that they became bad after months or years of use.
If you're thinking of rebuilding, you may want to start a thread in the new build section; use the format in the sticky on how to ask for new build advice.
m
l
October 31, 2011 6:15:41 PM

worthwhile? It's the price I'm looking at. $189.99 for 6 cores? Hot damn!

Anyways back to my issue. It appears occasionally that when I turn my PC on it will sometimes detect the SATA devices...but upon restarting they are gone again.

One time my boot hdd WAS detected and the computer attempted to boot into windows...but it was met with an UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME bsod.

What i'm trying to do now is get both my CD drive and boot HDD to be recognized so that I can use the Win Vista disk to run a recovery console and chkdsk.

Sigh :sweat: 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 1, 2011 9:19:15 AM

I would suggest a Zosma 960T. This can be had for roughly $125, and as a true 4-core cpu, has a high OC potential and is great for gaming. This also has the potential though to unlock a 5th and 6th core. For $125, i would say you have a great chance to have a super processor for much less. Also, even if it doesnt unlock, you saved $60 to put away for a new processor to upgrade to, say the Piledriver, which hopefully will be more suited for AMD gamers.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
!