Specs:
Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit
Asus Striker II Formula 780i Nforce motherboard
4 GB OCZ 1066 Platinum DDR2 memory
Corsair TX850w
Evga GTX 470 SC
Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB
Hitachi Deskstar 1 TB

Anyways, my question relates to this annoying Disk Boot Failure that arises whenever I do a hard reset of the computer as a result of a total system lock-up in Windows. Sometimes it's there, sometimes I boot into windows with no error.

The issue comes up because my BIOS does not list the SATA hard drives or CD-ROM drive. As a result of not seeing the drives, I can not boot into windows. Nothing is there.

To fix the issue, I have:

A. Moved the HDD's to different Sata ports (I have 6).
B. Load Bios Defaults
C. Tried booting from Sata Controller (which resulted in a BSOD when loading windows 0x07B)
D. Flashed Bios.

Again, this issue is intermittent but ONLY comes about after doing a hard reset of the PC. It will occasionally lock up when watching videos online or video editing or simply web browsing.

So a couple of days ago the issue came up again and I'm getting annoyed. The motherboard is fine (everything is listed properly...Sata ports just don't want to play nice).

Any help? I may have to reset the CMOS ...

Thanks

apaulson93

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
it's a three year old HDD (the one with the OS on it).

I honestly don't think that it's a hard drive error because once I can get bios to recognize everything, booting is flawless.

Even if I just have the CD-ROM drive or the Hitachi Deskstar hooked up, Bios doesn't see them.

Last time I fixed the issue was loading Bios Defaults and hooking up one drive at a time.

apaulson93

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011

Back when I built the system, the CD-Rom drivers were downloaded and successfully installed. At this point, I don't really need a CD-ROM drive seeing as how I download everything from the Internet.

As for setting my western digital as the main boot drive, I can't. Bios doesn't recognize any sata device connected to the mainboard. When it DOES recognize it, I can set boot priority etc...

apaulson93

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011

I said in my first post that I had flashed to the latest Bios version (revision 2402), which I downloaded from the Asus website.

As for installing any drivers...there is no way if I cannot even get into windows. The drives are there, they are connected. Everything is working properly EXCEPT the sata controllers. Bios just doesn't see them. As I said, IDE works fine.

apaulson93

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
replace or reseat?

If it is replacement, I am ok with that.

The battery may be dying...I have no idea. The point, manually reseting the computer after a system lock-up causes BIOS to forget what is connected to it (in this case, anything SATA). All other non-sata devices are recognized and listed.

apaulson93

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
Now during POST I don't receive any CMOS errors. Or "Failing CMOS battery"

But this issue is intermittent, the system acts odd, and everything else is fine.

Man if you're right about this, I will love you forever.

I took a look at the battery. It is a CR2032 NEWSUN 3V Lithium Cell

Now, what procedures should I be ready to use? When I take out the old battery, should I just put the new one in and start it up?

Thanks a lot :)

apaulson93

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
Ok.

There is a jumper nearby that, according to my mobo manual, must be set to the "Enabled" position before I can press the Clr CMOS button located on the back of the PC.

So after I do this, hopefully all my SATA devices will be showing up all nice and peachy, and further system lock-ups dont result in a Disk Boot Failure.

Thanks so much!

genius4U

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011

I got the same problems like you. But not same system. I tried every way that you did. But could't solve. Finally, I found the source of problem: the sata cable. Try to change the sata data cable with new one.

Good Luck

apaulson93

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
Three-volt CR2025 lithium batteries are used by many motherboards to maintain the clock and other permanent settings when AC power is disconnected.

I think this is exactly what the issue was. CMOS battery was aging, and much like a elderly person, was forgetting some things. I even had an issue with the clock after a power outage a week ago. The time was shown as October 21, 2000 on my G15 display.

How odd.

But again, how could a hard reset cause the cmos to forget all the sata devices that were connected to it when a normal shut down and power off through windows doesn't have that issue?

Is it because of the sudden loss of power or sudden reset with no warning that tripped up my CMOS?

TRENDING THREADS