Zotac ZT-50103-10P GeForce GTX580 3GB

mikec9971

Distinguished
May 31, 2010
I was interested in this card but can not find any benchmarks. I currently have 2 xfx hd6870's in crossfire. I am wondering if I should get rid of my 6870's for one of these cards. I am running a single 23" monitor. I have 8gb ram and an amd 1055t oc to 3.8ghz. Also, would this run physix on games or would I need a dedicated card. Wondering mainly about running physix on arkham city and arkham city asylum. Thanks in advance.

nadim615

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
Ok I know the GTX580 supports physix, but you need to dedicate it to that, which means your probably going to need a second... I do know that asylum does have some minor problems with physix... Anyways, if you want to see some benchmarks just check out this website, the GTX580 is in first, and the 6870's are in 8th. The prices of the cards (in US dollars) are on the right side next to the bars. Hope this helps! :)

nadim615

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
Ok I know the GTX580 supports physix, but you need to dedicate it to that, which means your probably going to need a second... I do know that asylum does have some minor problems with physix... Anyways, if you want to see some benchmarks just check out this website, the GTX580 is in first, and the 6870's are in 8th. The prices of the cards (in US dollars) are on the right side next to the bars. Hope this helps! :)

A single GTX 580 can run PhysX and can handle all graphics on its own. I'm not sure if it's faster than a pair of 6870's, but I can tell you it will be quieter and hassle-free. If you play the Batman Arkham series, which uses PhysX heavily, you owe it to yourself to get a setup that can run PhysX.

joshyboy82

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
Games that run PhysX are great to play when you have a card that supports PhysX, but those are few and far between. I know the Batman games support it, so to switch for this game only seems...extreme. The GTX580 is the most powerful single GPU on the market. It has no problems running the game and handling the PhysX load at the same time. That said, I read that adding a cheap PhysX card and taking the load off the GPU can add 10 fps in Metro 2033. PhysX can be run on old cards like the 9800GT, which sell for $35 on Tiger Direct.

It is possible, but tricky to run a PhysX card with and AMD/ATI main GPU setup. There's a guide somewhere on this site.
Not quite this site, but a guide none-the-less.
http://www.overclock.net/amd-ati/591872-how-run-physx-windows-7-ati.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/batman-arkham-asylum,2465.html

Batman%20PhysX%20Comparison.gif

"There is a high price to pay for PhysX performance, but I have to admit that the eye candy is a lot of fun to watch. Once you've turned it on, it's not something you'll turn off if your hardware can handle it."

joshyboy82

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
Join us Mike...(chanting)"One of us! One of us! After this thread, which you felt so passionately about PhysX that you created an account just to hash out the details; you're just going to leave it at that? Save some money, get a 570 and spend the difference between the 570 and 580 on a PhsyX card. Not because you have to, but because you have the freedom to purchase such luxuries and all luxuries are simply wants. Sure it may be barely a implemented technology, but when it is...you smile on.

mikec9971

Distinguished
May 31, 2010
Ive got the money for the card its just that I have 2 hd 6870s that are only a couple months old. I just cant get that much for them on ebay so I think I'm gonna stick with them and maybe in 6 months or so think about switching to Nvidia.