Sign in with
Your question

Anyway to repair a "damaged" fujitsu HDD?

Last response: in Storage
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 16, 2001 3:37:00 PM

I have an old fujitsu HDD which when it worked was a great drive, but then (sod's law) it broke. I could no longer boot from it and bought a new one. After installing my new HDD i decided to try and retrieve some of my more important files from my disk, the disk was detected by the BIOS and i booted with it as a secondary master. Now when I started windows, I was able to access everything, so i deltree ed windows and rescued my old files. I then decided to format the drive and see if i could use it for the extra storage. It formatted well and I now had a drive. I decided to scan disk just to verify and so did a full scan. The scan took 14 hours to finish and it had tens of thousands of errors on it. I presume that there is something physically wrong with the drive and the drive surface (possibly caused by a fauly PSU). My question is is there anyway of fixing this drive, so i could use it.
Many thanks :) 
John

If God didn't want us to eat animals then why did he make them out of meat?!
January 16, 2001 8:38:55 PM

I don't think there is anyway to fix physical problems with hard drives - they are designed and manufactured in air 1,000,000 times cleaner than the air you're breathing, because the read/write heads have to be EXACT with the drive platter. If it's off by 1/1,000th of an inch it will screw up. So I'm guessing the problem is inside the hard drive (stepper motor, platters, whatever) so I would say no there is no way to repair it. If it's an outside problem (like something on the PCB), then it probably could be repaired. Don't ask me how....
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 17, 2001 12:56:22 AM

You might be able to send it in to the manufacturer and have them fix it (for free if under warrantee), or have a professional do it at a computer shop, but you are better off buying a new one seeing as how cheap they are nowdays. The price to fix it would hardly justify the decision not to buy a new one.
Related resources
January 17, 2001 1:05:38 AM

The drive should have 3 year a Warranty. All you need is a invoice.
January 18, 2001 11:38:12 PM

Waht kind of errors? The only damage that can't be repaired in a running dirve is missing sectors, which indicate bad platters (surface deterioration).

Suicide is painless...........
January 18, 2001 11:38:19 PM

Waht kind of errors? The only damage that can't be repaired in a running drive is missing sectors, which indicate bad platters (surface deterioration).

Suicide is painless...........
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 19, 2001 5:06:39 AM

I might also add that if you open up the drive, you will almost certainly void the warranty. Hard drives aren't meant to be worked on by anybody but a professional, and most manufacturers intentionally make it very difficult to get inside.
January 19, 2001 2:21:48 PM

Don't bother attempting - it's not worth it - probably wouldnt be able to do it anyway, and even if you did, who's to say it wouldnt go again anyway?

Save yourself time and frustration and just buy another... :-)
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 19, 2001 8:14:22 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. I think i will open it up. Its useless and has been sitting on my shelf for about a year now. Always wondered if a platter would make a good frisby....
Thanks again

If God didn't want us to eat animals then why did he make them out of meat?!
!