Upgrading, Need Advice!

Sheresh

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
So the time has come once again I feel to upgrade for the new generation of PC games that are starting to come out. My current build, which I will list in a second, I feel is starting to fee the strain of the new game demands.

Current Build:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
GFX: XFX HD-585A-ZNDC Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro) XXX Edition 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16
PSU: Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.2
Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 922
HD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200rpm

Overall I have been quite happy with performance but new games are starting to push my hardware to it's limit. I mainly play MMO/FPS/Racing games with this rig. I do not care for or do any video editing, hardcore computing/CAD etc. This is strictly my gaming PC. I should also mention that I do game on a 21' Widescreen at 1920x1080. For MMO's I would really like to be able to maintain near top quality GFX at stable 60FPS regardless of what is going on on the screen. FPS/Racing and such again I would like to be able to max or nearly max the newer games out and still be sitting at a solid steady 60FPS at all times. My rig does quite well for now but I am starting to see and feel the pinch of dated hardware. I personally feel that my GFX/PSU/CPU are what's holding my system back but I wanted to check here first.

So, my question to you all is, where should I start upgrading and to what to make sure that I can keep up at High/Ultra settings with the new games that are out/coming out? Money is not a....huge issue but I would like to keep it under 800ish if I am going to upgrade the big three components.

**It should be noted that I do not have any interest in OC'ing my equipment, Factory OC/Superclock is fine**

I see no reason to upgrade anything except the video card unless you simply want to.

At 1920x1080, your definitely being limited by the gpu.

For about $750 you could go with a i5-2500K, Z68, DDR3 (1.5v) and GTX570/6970.

You would need to upgrade your power supply too though either way you go.